Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese exchange students 2007/10/28 20:27
I am actually Japanese (21) in college, but I came here when I was seven so basically I am almost the same as Japanese Americans that were born in the U.S.

I always grew up with Chinese, Korean, Thai, Flipino, etc. Honestly, I have never had a Japanese girlfriend or Japanese close friend. I knew some but never became close. So lately, my school has been getting more Japanese exchange students and for some reason, its really hard to click with them. I know Japanese (enough to understand tv-shows and speak to my parents/family) so I thought I would want to make some Japanese friends now that I have an opportunity to.

Can you guyz tell me what Japanese exchange students think about Japanese ppl that grew up in America? Do they not like it if I speak Japanese to them? or Are they interested in other races other than Japanese?
by Taco Bell  

personally... 2007/10/29 10:46
I am unsure if there is some cultural thing going on, but I am considering studying abroad in Japan next year. From my perspective, there will be plenty of ex-pats and english speakers, but being that I am shooting for a cultural immersion of sorts, thats really not what I'm looking for. Could be they think you are "too-Japanese" if that makes any sense...
by Ben rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/29 11:12
I can't tell you what other people think, each person is different. Maybe they just don't want to click with you doesn't matter if your Japanese or martian.

Maybe they don't want to meet friends with someone just because they are Japanese, who knows what an individual is thinking. Maybe your approach of meeting a japanese person just for the sake of knowing a japanese person is the wrong approach.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/9 10:58
I'm Nikkei and had many Japanese exchange student friends while in college. Everyones different but I would guess that they may have felt a little more comfortable with asians, especially since some of us spoke Japanese.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread