Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

summer work in tokyo 2007/10/30 00:27
i went to tokyo over the summer this year and loved it, so i want to go back next year- but i can't afford to do what i did this time (i went on a month long language and culture course and spent a hell of alot of money). so i figured the best thing to do next year is get a job while i'm over there for 2/3 months, and hopefully it will also allow me to save some of the money i make for when i start university in sept/oct 2008. i'm trying to be prepared way in advance so i've read all the mixed reactions to hostessing, and i asked some japanese ppl while i was japan this time, and i still want to do it. i was just wondering what the best way of going about getting a job is? because so far, a place like ''one eyed jack'' looks good because i can apply online, so i can be sure i've got a job before i get to japan. is this the best way? and what does anyone know about ''one eyed jack''? i remember passing it i think one night i was out in roppongi but i didn't go in. also is there a really high danger of getting caught with the wrong visa? also, whats the comparison with hostessing and dancing? i was thinking of dancing instead, as its abit more impersonal, but i havn't really found out much about dancing in japan. also i've heard its quite easy for westerners to get acting/modelling jobs in japan, is this true? and what do u do about visas for this? coz for 'entertainment' visas dont u need proof before u get the visa that u will definately have a job in this sector when u get japan. also, is there a certain western 'look' thats preferred for all these sorts of jobs? (apart from being blonde of course) coz i'm a caucasian, english, 18 year-old (although all the japanese ppl i met were shocked by this i thought i was over 20), brunette with a curvy figure, and while in tokyo this time i did get approached quite alot by man (especially by the club rep ppl in roppongi, lol) but i was never 'scouted' or anything like i've heard other girls have been, could there be a certain reason for this? sorry for the long question/s!!!!! and please don't post messages about hostessing/dancing being ''1 step towards prostitution'' etc... if the subject annoys u just ignore it! ^_^
by Cat  

. 2007/10/30 13:22
You need visa if you want to work in Japan.

If you just go there and work without visa and/or work permit from immigration office, it's illegal and you might get deported.

If you want to travel and cannot afford the cost, how about WWOOF Japan?
http://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/index.php?lang=en
Or Working Holiday (if you are from one of the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Republic of Korea, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark)?
by . rate this post as useful

Know what you are getting into 2007/11/2 03:06
Do you have any idea what its like to work in one of those places? If you haven't been inside (or one of the many salacious offshoots of this original) then you REALLY need to do some research. If you are after good money and have VERY healthy self esteem and flexible outlook on morals then OK but otherwise....
by Liq rate this post as useful

hostessing 2007/11/2 10:04
Japanese people tend to think that most Caucasian foreigners look about 5 years older than they are, so it is no real surprise that they thought you were over 20, especially if you were in Japan by yourself.

The look that is preferred for hostessing? About what you would expect, blonde and busty. From what I hear anyone who is reasonably attractive will do though, it's a high turnover industry, they aren't that picky. I was waiting for my husband near Roppongi station one time and a guy asked me if I would like to work in a club "as a dancer or something like that" and I am not especially curvy or gorgeous.

The dancing would most likely be "exotic dancing"- make sure you know what that entails before you sign up for it.

No it is not easy for foreigners to get jobs acting or modelling in Japan, unless you would meet the requirements for acting or modelling in your home country. It was easier back in the 70s apparently when there were far fewer foreigners in Japan but hasn't been like that for a long time now.

As for the visa, most of the girls work on tourist visas as far as I know as Japan Immigration doesn't sponsor visas for hostessing. Yes, the clubs are raided from time to time, but it can depend on how good a relationship the club has with the local yakuza- if it's good then the police may not ever come. It is possible that you would be asked for ID by the police on the street as you were heading to/ from the station though.

Generally it is a very dodgy thing to do on many levels- I am not being judgemental, I just think it is a bad idea overall. Lots of opportunities for exploitation and of course illegal on the visa front. If you were deported you would not only have to wait a long time before coming back to Japan, you would also have trouble travelling to other countries.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread