Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

The perception of latinos in japan 2007/11/6 00:36
I'm a latina (puertorican) and I will like to know the perception of latinos in japan. Are they fair in job opportunities? For example, a person with western education. It's true that japanese like the latin culture? What do they think of latinas(in physical, emotional and personality) ?
by Silver phoenix  

Latin in Japan 2007/11/8 06:12
Japanese are very polite people doesn't matter the nationality. It depends more in how you behave in their country.

1. Job opportunity: Fair, what do you mean by fair?
You must be legal and if you want to work you better have a degree. They look for specialized people. Most foreigners work as English teachers, Spanish is not as popular as English and japanese like Spain natives. I wonder why because in Latin America is the real big amount of spanish speakers. Maybe some romantic thinking?.
2. They do like salsa, merengue and sort of dancing learning. But isn't more special than any other country. Japanese are well educated and curious but they don't go nuts for some special culture.
3. Personality: If you are too much outgoing as most latins are, maybe it will be some kind of culture shock.
Lookings: Depends on each person taste.
Remember they mostly like well educated people, They will never intimate with you because they love to have their own space, also they have different customs and ways to see life.

And yes, they will like you if you respect them and their country, you are going to be a guest in their house.
Hope it helps for you. It will be nice to read other smart opinions. People in this forum has always clever advices. See ya
by Nice Mom rate this post as useful

Forgot something 2007/11/8 08:24
Silver phoenix:

If you are not a qualified person you will land doing the DDD jobs. Or worst in case of women you will be in danger of getting sexual services....

Yes in Japan are lots of latin people but most of them are NIKKEI which means japanese ancestors, and they have special visas. Nowadays, there is a reinforcement in giving those visas due to past overuse. If anybody is legally married with a japanese citizen will obtain the spouse visa. Check for information in the Japanese Embassy of your home country.

Hope it serves. Did I forget anything else?
by Nice mom rate this post as useful

latinos! 2008/8/29 23:57
Dear latina,

I am also latino and live in Japan for 6 years. What I can tell you is that you can find people who like latin culture here in Japan. Unfortunately this country is very much influenciated by north-american culture, which make americans and things related to them by far the most popular in Japan.

What you will firstly notice in Japan is that it is the land of stereotypes. If you are latin, you gotta be caliente, dance salsa and merengue and be very passionate. That is what people will think about you and will probably ask about it to you.

Although Nice Mom made a very positive description of Japan, the truth is that there is a lot of prejudice in this land too. I hope you never face one of them, though.

Best Luck!
by South American rate this post as useful

There are different kinds of Latinos 2008/8/30 02:59
First I want the world to know that there are different kinds of Latinos. There are Mexicans like me, Puerto Ricans, Italians and so on. We come in different shapes and colors. I know what I am talking about because I go visit Japan at least twice a year. I also see the similarity between the Japanese and my Mexican culture in many ways such as the male thinking that the woman is inferior. I find that most of Asians do NOT look at me, with black hair and brown eyes, as being a Native English speaker because the only ones most of the Japanese people see are white Australians, Canadians, and British citizens. But I grew up in the US, went to the elite University of Texas, so I am also educated as is the rest of my family. While I am in Japan, I have not seen that many Mexicans like myself and that may be the reason that the Japanese people do NOT know much about us. We are not loud and obnoxious like white people. I have observed how they act when I go to Mexico and go to the mercardo there. But sad to say, our education level is still not up to par with the white Americans. That is why I am a teacher. I want to make a difference!
by ProudMexican rate this post as useful

honestly 2008/8/30 03:11
Honestly, I don't think Japanese have much experience or knowledge of Latin culture. Yeah, there are Japanese Brazilians who come for work or tourism, but at the end of the day, Japan is an island nation at the other side of the world.

Your experience in Japan will depend on how you are educated, how you conduct yourself, and you should be able to tolerated some stares- not because Japanese dislike Latins, but because you are just different in a culture where most people are Japanese.
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

Laughable 2008/8/30 08:17
As an individual who is quite familliar with both Japanese and Puerto Rican cultures, I cannot see any similaities. These two great cultures are as different as night and day.
by PD rate this post as useful

Where is Latin America? 2008/10/9 15:59
I must agree with the people who have said that the Japanese simply are not familiar with Latinos/Latino culture because of the incredible popularity of English.

As a latino from a non-famous country it is even more difficult for me to educated them on where I'm from.

The fact of the matter is that you are not Japanese and it all depends on the openess of the people you meet. There is very little interest in Latinos because, again, they don't really know anything about us but you can always do your best to introduce people to your culture.

Knowing Japanese will help you in getting a job outside of the English-language teacher title and, of course, will help in your life here in general.

As for physical? Well, it's all a matter of taste and as you know, latinos come in ALL colors, so that also plays a part into how they percieve you. If you happen to have very light skin, they'll probably just think you're white and if you are very dark, then you'll be seen as a black person and the stereotypes around that can go in many directions.

Eitherway, best of luck!
by Salvadoran in Japan rate this post as useful

Mostly based on negative stereotypes 2009/2/19 07:13
I'm a Latin male and I lived in Japan for more than (2) years. When I was there on vacation before I moved over there, I only noticed the positive perhaps - everyone seemed so friendly. But once I began living over there, paying taxes and dealing with rent and bills and bike permits and the like, I became aware that the Japanese don't really like gaijins living in their country. This is true whatever color or ethnicity you are.

I agree with the ideas that the Japanese have very little knowledge of Latin people and that the country is "the land of stereotypes" as someone else noted. I was an English teacher, but when students would find out I was Latin (sometimes they would ask, sometimes they already knew and I think sometimes they never knew as I'm quite light complected) they would always ask me questions about soccer and dancing - and they didn't want to seem to ask me any "real" English questions. Even though I am a native English speaker.

I wouldn't say I encountered any direct hostility from them because I'm Latin but when I was working I would notice that often times if I was doing corporate contract work, I would get the low-level students and beginning students. While "Anglo" teachers either from the UK, Canada or the US were given the better and easier assignments.

As a female Latina I would expect that most Japanese men will assume you are in the sex trade as most Latinas in Japan are. If you are considering a move there you should definitely think twice about it and if you decide to do it, make sure you have an exit strategy in place so you don't get stuck over there with no money to return back to your home country.
by dojodan (guest) rate this post as useful

part deux 2009/2/19 07:42
Then again, you probably aren't missing much in Japan anyway. Since the time I lived there, I've also traveled to other Asian countries like China, Taiwan and Thailand. I would rank Japan on the bottom of the list as far as interesting culture and good food. Japan has in many ways lost its historic culture and gave way to modernization and technology. Economically good for them perhaps (although not currently) but as far as Asian culture goes, Japan is pretty bland and boring. And the food and weather there are just awful!

...... 2009/2/20 00:23
Being Mexican American in Japan was great for me. While I had a great teaching job (not English, but a technical science), I helped a friend who had a language school teach English and Spanish. I met a lot of Latina hostesses there who wanted to learn English and a lot of Japanese ladies too. With the "Latin lover" idea in their head needless to say I was busy. Also, the Latinas couldn't relate to the Japanese men's way of thinking.
Of course this is a man's point of view about Japan. I wouldn't listen to the poster who said all the negative things about the culture and weather, I loved it (it was humid though).
If you have the chance go. You won't regret it.
by Beto (guest) rate this post as useful

to be hoinest 2009/2/20 00:31
Most Japanese see Lations as criminals. The Brazilians in Japan have caused a decent amount of crime, and they are in the news a lot for that. So many Japanese people have come to think of Latinos as criminal and dnagerous.

On a person to person basis it will be different, but don't think for a second that Japanese society in genreal is not racist.
by elkarlo rate this post as useful

response to beto 2009/2/20 03:58
Most Japanese women don't have a concept of the "Latin lover" that we have in the Western world. They think of us as good soccer players and dancers (and most Japanese don't like to dance) and that's about it. They haven't been bombarded by the Latin lover image like we have in the West. I'm not saying they weren't interested in me, some were, but I don't think it made much of a difference that I was Latin.

Secondly, unless you live in the far south part of Japan, most of Japan has a long cold winter and a climate similar to New York City in the Tokyo area. To imply that the climate is quote: "it was very humid" is a classic statement that people that have never been to Japan make. People that haven't been to Japan often mistakenly think it is a tropical humid climate - it isn't. It's mostly a cold and wet climate with only July and August being hot and humid.

dojodan 2009/2/20 05:27
A lot of the women told me that I was romantic and was their idea of a "Latin lover". If they didn't know about this, why would they say this? Maybe you aren't romantic.
Also, the weather is nice in spring and fall in Osaka. Summer humid, Winter cold and damp. I lived there 3 years and still have a home in Hyogo with my wife. Where do you get off implying that I never been there?

Latin 2009/2/20 06:23
I've also personally never heard a Japanese girl mention anything about "Latin Lovers". To me, it only seems to be a stereotype that only in the west. As mentioned earlier, the stereotype I've heard most commonly about Latin Americans (although I personally wouldn't put South Americans in that classification) are that they work in factories or low-skill jobs, love to dance, and have a good time at gatherings. (I spent a few months in Shizuoka and had a chance to experience it firsthand).

Maybe all of the Japanese girls who were crawling over you just had a specific thing for Latin guys? Anyhow, glad to hear that you were able to step away from your busy lovelife and settle down with your former penpal/wife! (I think I read one of your previous posts before, sorry if I'm mistaken) I don't think I would've had the ability to step away from that lifestyle, it's what many guys dream of lol.
by Johan (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2009/2/20 13:46
Yeah, most of them I met Salsa dancing and at language school (maybe they did have something for Latin men). And when my contract was up at my real job I had to come home, no choice they cancelled my visa.
I had fun,but I didn't say I had women crawling all over me. I was busy because I had fun dating and going out. (If you want to take lessons search pickup Asia) But it gets old because it's mostly games and I'm getting older.
I was friends with my wife while I was in Japan and we kept in touch by e-mail and phone(I didn't meet her on the Internet like you are implying). I realized that a relationship was based on more than looks and sex, friendship is the most important thing. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it sometimes, but what I have now is more important to me.
(BTW Chinga su madre)

my experience as a Latina in Japan 2011/1/25 20:04
I'm a Latina "Texican" living in Japan. My family has been in Texas for 7 generations now. My ancestry is both from Spain and Mexico. I work in Japan teaching English, but I also speak Japanese, and I learned Chinese in Taiwan last year. My b/f is Taiwanese too :-)
I currently live and work in Hokkaido, and already am planning to re-contract with my job for another year.
Latinos/as in Japan are pretty rare. I get lots of stares, lots of "what country are you from?", lots of compliments on my eyes, hair, skin, and I think I sometimes catch my male colleagues stealing glimpses at my figure. Lots of people think I am Filipina, but I don't care, I think Filipinas are pretty. My sister in law is Filipina.
The women here think my English is beautiful, and are always "giving me face" by complimenting this and that. I have already been offered 3 extra tutoring jobs too. Basically, if you are a Latina, my advice is to carry yourself well here. Show you are educated, mature and cultured. Be well-groomed and professional at all times. Don't start stuff just to be indignant. There is a time for cultural pride, and a time to just try to blend in. Also, don't instigate uncomfortable conversations. Try to be at ease with people and be open and friendly. Try not to judge Japanese people. That goes for any country I think. I have also lived in the UK for 2 years serving in the armed forces, and never really had much trouble with Brits either. Plus, aside from the fact that I am enjoying my time here, in my day to day life, I am very humble, outgoing, and upbeat. I give older people the right of way, offer seats to elderly, try to be nice, try to show a good image of Latinos. I always have a big smile for my coworkers fellow English teachers, and students, and I think a good attitude and a solid personality go a long way. I speak Japanese fluently too, so it helps to show an interest in learning about Japan and Japanese culture/food/language. That will go a long way too.
Once I did get the "knows how to salsa dance" label, but that was in Tokyo. And all that happened is someone grabbed me and started dancing with me. It was fun if not a little bizarre!
I didn't mind, because...I happen to know how to dance salsa. Go figure! lol!
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread