Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagoya Castle or Nijo Castle 2007/11/6 13:29
I am planning a trip to Nagoya Takayama and Kyoto.

I have 2 options of travelling. Which is better?

The first option
On 19th Dec night, I travel to Nagoya. On 20th Dec, I travel to Takayama and tour takayama. On 21st Night, I return to Nagoya and visit Nagoya castle on 22nd Morning, then I take the shinkansen to Kyoto, but I have to leave kyoto on 24th morning. I will visit Kiyomizudera, and Kinkakuji and Himeji Castle. I will not visit the imperial palace as it is a weekend. I believe I do not have time for Kyoto castle either

Option 2
I will travel to kyoto on 19th dec night 2007. I will spend 2 days in Kyoto and leave Kyoto for Nagoya on 21st night (around 8pm). Hence, I will visit Kinkakuji, Himeji castle, kiyomizudera and Imperial palace. Do you think I can visit Nijo castle too? On 22nd morning, I will travel to Takayama and leave Takayama on 23rd Evening. Hence, I will not be able to visit Nagoya castle.

Which do you think is better? Option 1 or 2? Why?
by Hobbes  

which castle? 2007/11/6 17:18
Option 2 because Nijo is an authentic castle while Nagoya's, like Osaka 's and a few others, were rebuilt in the 20th century with a concrete shell. They look impressive from the outside but are a bit like a movie set. As for the Imperial palace you do know, don't you, that you have to make arrangements before the visit? I also understand, but may be wrong, that they don't show the actual rooms used by the Imperial family. I would definitely, myself, see Nijo before, or even instead of, the Imperial palace.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Nijo 2007/11/6 21:05
I have not been into Nagoya Castle, only seen it from a distance. Apparently the stones, walls and moat are impressive.

Nijo, while it retains the fabulous Ninomaru Palace and the Honmaru palace, the Donjon (Tenshu or castle keep) was struck by lightning and burned to the ground in 1750 and was never rebuilt.
So if you are interested in the castle structure (donjon), there is nothing there at Nijo.

You might prefer to get off the Shinkansen at Maibara (22 minutes east of Kyoto), and catch a 5 min train ride to Hikone, to see the fabulous original Hikone Castle instead.
This is one of the four National Treasure castles (Himeji, Hikone, Inuyama & Matsumoto), and the small but beautiful donjon is a must.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

- - 2007/11/7 00:12
Yes, Nagoya-jo and Nijo-jo are completely different types of structures. The grounds of Nagoya-jo are very nice and the castle is impressive, but as mentioned it is not original, other than the foundations. Nijo-jo is more of a palace than a castle. The interior is very impressive and worth visiting, although you can't take pictures inside. I think the Imperial Palace should not be a priority; it takes a long time to visit it and it simply isn't that interesting. If you're going to see Himeji-jo, I would think that Nijo-jo would be a better choice than Nagoya-jo.
by Tay rate this post as useful

Nijo is good 2007/11/7 05:53
Option 2!

I have not been to Nagoya Castle, but I loved Nijo enough that I have seen it many times. Nijo isn't much of a castle though... it is more of a residence/palace. If you want to see a "real" castle I would suggest going to Hikone or Himeji, I absoluately loved Himeji, and Hikone is on my list for an upcoming trip.

I agree with Tay about the Imperial Palace as well... it is a waste of time. It has a few pretty (and tiny) gardens, but you can't actually go into the buildings so you are really just walking around and hearing a tour guide talking about archetecture most of the time.

Also... I know Kinkakuji looks so much prettier in the pictures, but I enjoyed Ginkakuji much more. I was pretty disappointed in Kinkakuji. I guess it is good to have seen it though.

(and... if Nagoya castle is like Osaka castle like sensei 2 said... then definitely choose Kyoto over Nagoya)

Oh!! and when you go to Kiyomizudera, there is an uphill road leading to the temple with many tourist-trap shops lining both sides. There is one (maybe more) shope that sells Yatsuhashi. This is a wonderful treat that you must try! They normally hand out samples too. There are several different kinds, and they are all delicious. (eat it fast though, it is only good for a few days)

Another neat thing at Kiyomizudera... I missed this the first few times I went, so I don't know if it was new or just easy to miss. But there is a small entrance as you first approach the temple where you can walk down stairs into a dark narrow hallway. The hallway is kind of U-shaped and is pitch black. There is a rope along the walls that guides you to the end of the hall where there is a small light source that illuminates a statue, then you walk back out and up the stairs. It is a really cool experience. (if anyone can add more detail please do... memory hazy after 4 years)
by Robyn rate this post as useful

.... 2007/11/7 06:05
Nagoya castle was burned down (wiped out by enemy airstrike WWII) so it was rebuilt it has fantastic moat and rock walls.
Inuyama castle in Inuyama-shi, Aichi-ken(north nagoya) was spared and is still original with minor nip tuc done. Both places offer quite a history with museums near by.
Almost all of the Kyoto sight seeings you mention can be seen in one day if you take a taxi tour, and you can always go see one more shrine or castle next morning/day if you want to take more time sight seeing.
http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/%7Edoitaxi/
by cc rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/7 06:07
Option 2

I'd stay in Kyoto one more night, though. No need to spend a night in Nagoya. Nagoya is a waste of time. Kyoto to Nagoya is only one hour on the shinkansen. You can travel to Takayama from Kyoto.

Do not skip Nijo Castle. It's more interesting than the Imperial Palace. Note you can not see inside of any structure at Imperial Palace.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

well.... 2007/11/7 06:14
Your options are relevant. It would be easier if you tell us where you are originating from.

Thanks! 2007/11/8 17:06
Thank you very much for all your suggestions! I will visit Nijo's castle instead and also try to pop by Hikone castle if I can fit the time in....Thanks guys....I'm from Singapore, hence, have never seen any castle before (except those in Europe, but I guess it's different..)
by Hobbes rate this post as useful

communication 2007/11/8 17:35
--------Kyoto to Nagoya is only one hour on the shinkansen. You can travel to Takayama from Kyoto.---------

What this person is saying that you still need to go to Nagoya (via shinkansen to Nagoya eki) to catch a train to Takayama.

Nijo 2007/11/8 21:08
Hi Hobbes. I'm also from Singapore and will be in Kyoto with family same time as you. We were in Kyoto last year too and visited Nijo Castle. Had a great time; the squeaking floor is really something. My kids still remember it.
by Geoffrey rate this post as useful

While . . . 2007/11/9 08:07
. . . I'm not a castle expert, Himeji and Matsumoto are not rebuilt castles, but I believe they have been renovated. At Himeji Castle they have on display one of the large beams that was removed from inside the castle. Also the time I visited Himeji in 2001, it was being repainted.

Matsumoto Castle was in disrepair until the city bought it, so I imagine though original, it's undergone quite a bit of renovation.

Inuyama Castle is probably still all original. It's small, but is worth a look for this and the fabulous view of the river where cormorant fishing is done.

Gifu Castle is rarely mentioned as a sightseeing attraction (it's small and rebuilt into a museum), but IMO, it has the most fantastic view of all castles since it sits high atop a mountain.

I don't think Nagoya is a waste of time; there is the castle and Atsuta Shrine (arguably #2 in Japan with the Meiji Shrine). Plus on day trips you can take in Gifu and Inuyama.

Gifu is underrated. Check out the squirrel zoo when you see the castle. They give you a glove and squirrels will jump on your arm and feed out of your hand. The insect museum near the cable car station to the castle has an excellent butterfly and beetle collection. And one of the largest (or largest) indoor Buddhas in Japan is housed at a nearby temple.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

yes 2007/11/9 12:07
I agree with the comments about Inuyama-jo. It is very interesting to visit and does have a great view over the Kisogawa.
Inuyama also features a rather mild boat ride on the Kiso, and the Japan Monkey Park which has a huge variety of monkeys from all over the world and very innovative pathways for the animals to reach many parts of the park. Also has some amusement rides. Nearby is Meiji Mura where they have moved many threatened Meiji era structures to a park area. Quite interesting. In a hotel's grounds near the river is one of the most important historic tea houses in Japan. A great place to sit and meditate and sample some tea and cakes.
by Tay rate this post as useful

castles 2007/11/9 12:52
Clevor note that Himeji and other castles have been repaired through the years, repainted etc. which is 100% correct.
However they are still considered authentic buildings as most of the structure is original and whatever was repaired was done as it was done the first time aound(same materials, by hand etc.). By contrast castles like those in Nagoya, Osaka etc. were totally destroyed and rebuilt NOT as the originals were (a huge wood frame with a thick plaster skin on the outside) but in concrete, steel etc.
many castles in Europe, like Versailles, Windsor and most especially medieval churches, like Paris' Notre Dame, are not 100% authentic either as they had to be repaired due to age, accidental fires, wars etc. but they are still considered the real thing.
OK IT IS LIKE YOU AND ME AFTER A HUGE BODY MAKEOVER..we wouldn't look our age, we might look different but we would still be the same person...
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

Castles 2007/11/9 13:08
All of the original castles have had maintenence and renovations done at some stage or another.

There are 12 original castles left, four of which are National Treasures.(Inuyama, Himeji, Matsumoto, Hikone). 7 of the 19 castles were destroyed during the second world war, including Nagoya, Odawara & Hiroshima, leaving just 12.

I have seen six of them: Inuyama, Himeji, Matsumoto, Hikone, Marugame, Iyo Matsuyama.

I have seen a number of rebuilt ones: Nagoya, Gifu, Okayama, Hamamatsu, and been inside of Osaka, Odawara, Gujo Hachiman.

Plus the ruins of Nijo, Kanazawa, Edo, Takayama.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Ninanji 2007/11/9 16:04
I think Inuyamajo (most original of the originals, still owned by the same family if it hasn't changed ownership in past few years), Meiji mura etc in Nagoya will interest you. To me, the Inuyama castle looks like country retreat of that era, it's handsomely small castle true ...and inside is somewhat rustic with wooden sliding doors and wall coverings with some white walls (something i like to do for our home) pose to a lot of paper paintings. And they don't call this Inuyamajo for nothing, woof.

Kyoto is not as old as Nara but all have been very well preserved if not restored. Kyoto was carefully spared by USA for what I've been told by WWII veterans, to preserve Japan's history. It's said that it's not just wars (1468-most Kyoto got burned down in that war, and so forth) which destroyed them. At times the strike of lightenings were some of the causes for the fires and I would imagine candle burning may have been another accidental cause for fire? Oh and picture how those samurai soldiers shoot with burning arrow to attack. That would be the end of the palace, going down the drain, start all over again. So from the time they started building Ninanji in 888 A.D. which lasted and continued by 30 generations for almost 1000 years, they haven't stopped building.

Be sure to see Sanjusangendo and Ninanji(oldest of Kyoto) in Kyoto.

You need to structure your schedule whether you do option 1 or 2. where are you departing from, tokyo? etc.

reply to this thread