Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can someone translate this please? 2007/11/7 02:28
Hello.

Can someone translate this text for me please?
It's coming from a manga that I'm reading and I can't understand it at all.

Here is it:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8288/pic3el2.png

And what are those small-printed japanese characters in the text?

by max  

furigana 2007/11/7 10:27
someone else will have to trandlate it for you, but I can tell you the small characters are called "furigana" and they often appear next to kanji in material meant for a young audience to help people read kanji they may not have learned yet. When I was little I had multi-lingual sheet music for my flute and that way my first experience with them.
by Tracy rate this post as useful

ok I'll try 2007/11/7 11:04
Well, nobody else has responded yet so...
Ok, this is my super amature attempt so wait for someone else to respond, but I want to see if I've got it.

It says "Sasuke kun ha watashi ga tasuke dashite miseru" and I think that it means something like "I'll show that I'm the one to save Sasuke"
by Tracy rate this post as useful

Sasuke 2007/11/7 13:52
I am trying to rescue Sasuke from there!
by yumi rate this post as useful

Just to add 2007/11/7 15:40
The translation given by Tracy is more true to the emphasis of the original sentence. "...te miseru" is "to prove oneself by doing something," so he/she is announcing "I WILL BE THE ONE to rescue Sasuke-kun!"
by AK rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2007/11/7 20:31
Thank you very much guys for your responses and help.:)

The girl is not saying: 'I will rescue Sasuke for you!'right?

The 'for you' part is wrong am I right?
by max rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/7 21:17
max,

I don't see any part that explicitly says or implies "for you."

But depending on the manga pictures, if the girl is declaring TO SOMEONE ELSE in the story that she will definitely rescue "Sasuke-kun," then the English translation COULD BE "I will rescue Sasuke-kun for you." But as far as I can tell from the sentence *itself*, it does not say "for you."

Oh, just in case: you could be confusing 君 as "kimi" (= you)? When 君 (pronounced "-kun," as written in small hiragana alongside the kanji) comes after a name, it is a suffix for the name, to change the name into something like a nickname :)

hm.. 2007/11/7 22:04
Thanks AK for clearing that up for me.:)

Yes, the girl was running(in tears) towards the boy who went berserk and she screamed this sentence to him so that he could stop now.
Sasuke is a friend of both and the boy went berserk in order to save Sasuke and the girl was yelling that to him.

So the english translation is rather 'for you' then?

mmm 2007/11/7 22:51
Oh if it's said in tears and yelled, then I would translate it as: "I will DEFINITELY rescue Sasuke-kun!!!" more as a declaration of her determination, rather than doing it for someone; it's in fact for all of them anyway (for Sasuke, for the guy, and for the girl herself too) :)

Thanks 2007/11/7 23:24
Thank you AK for your help!
Now I got the true meaning of that sentence.:)

reply to this thread