Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do i need a bachelors degree? 2007/11/7 07:56
Hi everyone i just wanted to ask if i need a bachelors degree to get a visa to work while i am in Japan? i know it would make things alot more easy, but is it possible to get one without this??

Thanks for the help.
by james  

. 2007/11/7 10:06
For a full fledge work visa yes.

Unless you have some experience in one of the specialized fields they allow, but this has always been vague information.
by John rate this post as useful

faq 2007/11/7 10:06

A working visa for most jobs typically requires a university degree or 5-10 years of relevant work experience. If you are married to a Japanese national, then you can work without a working visa or degree. Same applies if you have permanent residence status.

Details of the various options are given here...
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/7 10:07
If you are in Japan in some other status, that is not temporary visitor, then it might be possible to work part-time. Also if you come from a country that offers working holiday visas, then you can work, but only for a limited amount of time (about 1 year) before you have to go or get a real work visa.
by John rate this post as useful

? 2007/11/11 05:54
Did I get this right?
Even if I might get contracted for several years, I might not get a visa that lasts long enough without a university degree?
by Ben rate this post as useful

visas 2007/11/11 09:35
If you don't have a degree or a number of years experience in the field you wish to work in, then you are only eligible for a working holiday visa, and then only if you are under 30 and from certain countries. Student and cultural visas also permit part-time work.

A company will not offer a long term contract to someone on a working holiday visa or any other non-work visa.

Year-long contracts are standard in Japan anyway. It is rare for a non-Japanese to be taken on as a permanent employee (seishain) f they don't have permanent residence or a spouse visa.

by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread