Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Career with Japan? 2007/11/7 10:46
I've read through a few threads that talk about jobs in Japan and apparently they mainly involve English teaching, which has had I guess 4,000 teachers laid off from the NOVA schools, IT jobs, and financing.

I plan on getting a bachelors degree here in the U.S., but will likely study abroad for a semester to a year in Japan. My main worry about this is after reading the threads posted here I'm worried I may not find a career job that involves Japan or learning the Japanese language.

So to sum what I'm really trying to say: Is there good job opportunities with Japan in having an International Business degree in/or outside Japan?

I would figure so as Japan and the U.S. are #1 in trading with each other, but now I'm not so certain...
by Avryx  

. 2007/11/7 11:36
Learn the Japanese language, know it fluently and you'll be lightyears ahead in the job line over someone who has no Japanese language skills. Though you'll still be behind the regular Japanese person applying for the same job.
by John rate this post as useful

- 2007/11/7 13:17
I'd imagine that there would be work within the USA in the tourism industry with a knowledge of the Japanese language. Tour guides, hospitality, hotel management etc. Also, if getting a job in Japan sounds unattainable there are other options. I was in Guam (USA) recently and there are so many Japanese tourists there that you'd be mistaken for thinking you're in Okinawa at times. Hawaii also has a large Japanese tourist population.

Good luck with it!
by Zoe rate this post as useful

If you want it go for it.. 2007/11/7 14:03
I am in the same boat of thinking as you are.
I have been looking at companies that are Japanese in origin but have divisions here in the US. Maybe the answer is to start with them first and see if there is an opportunity in Japan.
Lacking in self confidence could also be a factor in your indecisions. Be strong in your determination. If this is what you want then you need to do everything to make it happen.
Contacts in Japan and learning the language are the starting points.
by Ian rate this post as useful

Thanks for the replies 2007/11/7 14:12
Thanks for the input you guys. Its something that I'm rather serious about and have been pretty dead set on doing.

Though I'm thinking maybe it would be easier to find a job in the U.S. One that deals in trade with Japan that would involve me going over there every now and again, rather than starting in Japan and finding a job that requires my English.
by Avryx rate this post as useful

reply to this thread