Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Medicine in Japan as a foreigner? 2007/11/8 02:27

Thanks for any response in advance.

I'm currently a university student in the US, my major being Neuroscience, but I've decided to double major with Japanese (language/culture/history - already started taking classes) as well. I've always had an interest in Japan and I'm traveling there this summer. I plan on taking some short-length classes during my breaks there as well, if possible and studying abroad at a university there eventually.

I plan on going to medical school and becoming a surgeon, but I wanted to know about the opportunities for foreign doctors in Japan? Any and all information would be appreciated! Thanks, have a nice day.
by Mike C  

non-Japanese doctors 2007/11/8 22:04
To practice in Japan you have to be certified in Japan, which as you would imagine requires a very high level of Japanese- years of very intensive study would be needed to reach this level of written Japanese in particular. There are only a very few non-Japanese doctors practicing here- no more than a handful.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thank you 2007/11/9 04:19

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. You're right, I did imagine that would be the case. It's too early for me to know if I'll ever reach that high a level of writing Japanese, although I plan to learn as much as I can. However, if a foreigner were to have such a level, are there jobs available to them in Japan or is it very hard to get aside from the pre-requisite of a high level of Japanese? Any info is welcome. Again, thanks.
by Mike C rate this post as useful

reply to this thread