Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best outdoor Hot spring 2007/11/8 09:57
Looking for outdoor hot spring in Japan with views, mudbaths and even waterfalls something special, going with family (want to be able to wear swinsuits)
by darren  

... 2007/11/8 11:04
If you want an outdoor hot spring where you can wear swimsuits then you are probably removing about 99% percent of the choices. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that swimsuits are used would be Kamui Wakka no Taki in Hokkaido:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6851.html

Unfortunately it's crowded in during the season (July-Sept) and difficult to get to in the off season as it is closed to private cars.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Seriously closed, for now 2007/11/8 11:25
I was in the area recently. Because of landslides it is closed to everyone for at least 2 or 3 years.

But that is waaaaaaay at the edge of Japan. Surely, if the original poster hasn't specioied an area they imply somewhere along the well-travelled centre.

And yes, swimsuit onsen are a rare thing. One in Hakone keeps popping up in these threads. (No pun intended.)
by Ian rate this post as useful

hot spring bath 2007/11/8 11:44
I am afraid almost all hot spring bathing facilities in Japan only accept users without swimsuits in the bath. This is a very traditional Japanese custom or culture to share the same thing (bath, foods or other things) with others, perhaps deeply related to Shinto's harmonious spirit.
Also, you are to wash your body before soaking in the bath for hygienic reasons, and if you wear something, you cannot wash yourself. Above all, you won't be able to relax in the bath with your tight suimsuit. Don't warry, nobody cares about other people's naked bodies in the public bath. Enjoy yourself in the open-air bath.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/8 14:04
Ian's got some good points but let me elaborate a little.

I was in the area recently. Because of landslides it is closed to everyone for at least 2 or 3 years.

It's been that way since 2004. It seems to be more of a way to limit traffic rather than actual landslide damage as they run a public bus during the open season (July-Sept)

But that is waaaaaaay at the edge of Japan. Surely, if the original poster hasn't specioied an area they imply somewhere along the well-travelled centre.

For sure, it's definitely at the edge of Japan. I guess the thing to realize that outdoor onsen where you can use swimsuits are so far and few between that you pretty much have to go to the edge of Japan to find one.

And yes, swimsuit onsen are a rare thing. One in Hakone keeps popping up in these threads. (No pun intended.)

Onsen where you can use swimsuit are definitely rare. In fact, Kamui Wakka is the only one I've ever heard of where you are allowed/supposed to wear swimsuit. The one in Hakone, Yunessun, is not really an onsen. It is a themed water park with hot tubs. There is a part of Yunessun that is an actual onsen though, called Mori no Yu, but you are naked there.

What people need to realize is that onsen in Japan means naked practically by definition. If you can't be naked, you pretty much can't use an onsen.

An option, however, would be to find a place that has a family bath. They are offered an many public bath houses and ryokan, and they usually cost something like 5000 yen per hour on top of the Onsen entrance fee. It is basically a smaller private bath that is meant for families to be able to bathe together. You'll probably have a hard time finding one with an outdoor private bath but you may get lucky.

Just remember that you are not supposed to wear swimsuit in it and should be naked. The reason being that swimsuits degrade the quality of the water, which sounds strange but it is the fibers that are released into the water that damages it. Of course, there's no way to enforce that you bathe naked... but I can't advocate breaking the rules.

I'm a big proponent of onsen and suggest that you try it the intended way as there really is no way better. And note that if you use your modesty towel properly you are never really full on naked.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

I have to agree 2007/11/8 18:35
I am not one to tell people how to live their lives, but I must say I surprised myself in the past by how good a time I had at onsen with my family.

It just works. If it isn't for you, you may have to find other kinds of pleasure in Japan. I am sure you will.
by Ian rate this post as useful

Just try. 2007/11/9 07:10
I was in European saunas many times. In European saunas definitely no swimsuit is allowed, mainly for hygienic reasons but also due to tradition.

It may be strange to be the only woman between many men, but it is really nice and easygoing with couples and especially with families.

Just try, and remember: "When in Rome do as the Romans do".
by bumblebee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread