Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

First Time Traveler 2007/11/9 12:29
I will be travelling to Nagoya, Japan this spring (in April) for education purposes. Sadly, I have NEVER flown before in an airplane and I hate heights! I would like some expert/experienced advice on flying solo for first-timers and some sites that would be cool to see while in Japan:) Thank you for the help!!
by Saffron  

traveler man 2007/11/9 17:07
as for, flying. if the power to be ,wanted us to fly we would have wings .but we dont. So lets go , up up and away not so scare sit down buckle up and dont look down . think of it as a bus you feel some rock and roll. not to worry at any given time there is a 1/2 a million up there with you comeing and going and it beats swimming
by big bob rate this post as useful

first time 2007/11/9 17:29
1- ask to be seated away from windows. once inside you don't think about the altitude, it isn't like being on an outdoor deck in a skyscraper or on the edge of a steep cliff! Now that is scary!.
2-This site has a lot of info in the travel section, also in the section about culture etc. then you should read actual guidebooks (library?) about Japan and scroll through some questions and answers on this site (look at old pages at random)
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Flying... 2007/11/10 04:41
Saffron,

Flying is in fact very different from standing on the edge of a building. Generally you may find that it is not at all scary. Donft think about the flying, instead think about the trip!

About the flying, depending on where you fly from the flight may be long, so here are some suggestions:

Try not to drink too much coffee, tea or alchol either before or during the flight. These are diaretics and will drain you. Drink water and light juices. Airlines like JAL and ANA often offer Miso soup and I suggest it.

Try not to eat heavy meal and do eat vegetables, fish, pasta and rice. These are great for long flights. They are easier on the system and provide a good source of energy.

Remove your shoes when you get on the plane and settled in. It releases the pressure from your feet and helps the circulation. Get up once and a while, even if it is just to go to the bathroom to wash your face. Again it improves circulation.

Feel free to use the blank offered, read a book, watch a movie, say hello to your seat mates and relax.

As for things to see and do: First check with the school or program you will be part of to determine how much free time you will have. Also check, because they often have planned trips and if you are part of a group all the better.

Then Japan-Guide (this site) has a lot of information about the various areas you could visit. Enjoy your trip.

Tenshi
by Tenshi rate this post as useful

The flight 2007/11/10 06:17
I've made the flight between Dallas & Osaka twice. It was not as bad as I thought. As far as heights, if you didn't know you were in an airplane, you'd have no idea you were not at sea level. So don't worry about that.
However, as others have noted, there are things to do to make it more comfortable. Bring your own pillow to make sleeping easier. Take off the shoes. Walk around every few hours. Drink a lot of water. Sleep when you feel like it, watch movies, listen to the music or read when you don't. Bring some snacks. Most of all, relax. The airplane ride is statistically much more safe than your drive to the airport!
by cf rate this post as useful

timing 2007/11/10 08:05
One thing that can really make a difference is timing. Try to arrange your sleep schedule so that when you arrive in Japan you may be somewhat adjusted. Depending on your schedule this might entail trying to sleep most of the flight, or not sleeping at all.

Do not be afraid of flying, the worst part will be sore legs and boredom!
by drj rate this post as useful

Supersmart Strategies 2007/11/10 09:30
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-20786283;_ylc=X3oDMTFycWFybWhjBF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEX3MDMjcxOTQ4MQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDZnAtdG9kYXltb2QEc2xrA2ZseWluZy10aXBz
Supersmart Strategies: 15 Tips for Flying.
good luck!
by In rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/12 14:22
Some tips:

1) turbulance is very normal and you're sure to experience it so don't stress about that. It's a bit like being on a bumpy car ride.

2) Feel free to take some of your own snacks on the plane. fruit etc. As long as you eat it or throw it out before arrival it's not a problem for customs.

3) You can usually check out a month or two in advance what movies/TV shows will be showing on your flight. Some even have what meals you'll get. See your airline's website.

4) Get a window seat. They're the best! I know you say you have a fear of heights but you do feel very safe and contained in a plane. If it does freak you out you can pull down the blind and it's just like a wall (plus you can lean your head on it to sleep). Some of the views you get up in the air are the most beautiful you'll ever see.

5) If you get motion sickness, request a seat closer to the front or middle of the aircraft (it's smoother)

6) If you're feeling nervous let the person next to you know it's your first time flying and they'll usually chat to you and help distract you :)
by Zoe rate this post as useful

- 2007/11/12 14:47
Expect to feel very nervous the day before flying - this is normal. With this being your first time flying and to a foreign country expect to feel extra nervous.

If you are feeling very nervous when boarding let the flight attendents know it's your first time flying and they'll come round and make sure you're alright and help distract you.

Wear warm clothes! Planes can get cold.. way too cold in my opinion. I guess people complain if it's too hot and stuffy so they crank the aircon up.

Bring a pen. You'll have to fill out an arrivals card and customs declaration and you can get through quicker if you fill it out before landing.

Allow plenty of time to get to the airport!
by Mel rate this post as useful

flying tips 2007/11/13 07:13
I got sick from my first time of long distance flying. It was due to lack of water consumption. So, remember to drink lots of lots of water and less caffeine intake. And also, wearing loose and comfortable clothes will help like the those cotton sports wear (not tight jeans). I fly at least once a year from Florida to Singapore at about 27 hours flight duration. Make yourself busy like reading books, watch movie etc. And time will just fly.
Enjoy your trip.
by lian rate this post as useful

reply to this thread