Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Distance Daisetsu-zan & Akan NPxSapporo? 2007/11/12 01:40
Hi, Can anyone tell me, if I travel by a rental car from Sapporo, how long does it take to get to

1) Sapporo - Daisetsu-zan x kms y hours (any recommended routes?i.e highway 12)
2) Daisetsu-zan - Akan NP x kms y hours (any recommended routes?)
3) Sapporo - Akan NP x kms y hours (any recommended routes?)

Is it recommended to drive at night?

I am heading to Hokkaido next week, thank you so much for helping me out with your answers.
by Daytripper  

Just back from Hokkaido 2007/11/12 23:46
Hi!I'm just back from a driving tour in Hokkaido. From Sapporo (Chitose Airoport) to Daisetsu-zan, it took us about 3hours, by highway. But the highway is really expensive (can't remember the exact amount but above 5000 JPY) so if you can avoid it it's maybe better... From Daisetu.zan to Akkan, I don't know because we didn't go directly, but I wouldn't say more than about 3 hours... Anyway, have fun, it's a beautiful place. But don't forget the warm clothes, it was already freezing 2 weeks ago!!
by Kali rate this post as useful

Big parks 2007/11/13 10:34
I am also just back from a Hokkaido drive-around. First, bith of those national parks are big, and the internal roads are fairly circuitous. So to make a calculation you have to be more specific about start and finish points.

I calculate the drive time from Akan Kohan (on the shore of Lake Kohan) to Sounkyo Gorge at around 4 hours. But if you don't have a GPS or make a wrong turn that needs some careful correction (do you speak Japanese?) then add more time.

Weather can also be a factor. Winter is now beginning. It is too early for road snow, but driving wind or rain can happen.

Another factor is unexpected road works, prompting a detour. This happened to us on a tight pass between Akan Kohan and Mashu.

As for Sappor- Daisetsuzan not using the tollway: my guess is double the time factor. I took the highway option and we felt we were making great distance in short time.

by Ian rate this post as useful

reply to this thread