Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Your top 5 tourist spots in Japan 2007/11/12 12:34
Hello,
I am currently working for a Japanese university and helping to put together an activity program for visitors that will come for a large international symposium we are hosting in 2009. Using this website, a few travel books, and my own personal traveling experience, Ifve put together what I consider a solid list of sightseeing activities that will be attractive to other foreigners; however, in order to consolidate the list into five or ten key areas/sights to promote to participants, I have to pick the areas that are most appealing to foreign travelers in Japan. I, of course, have my own personal favorites, and an idea about which sights stand out most to those traveling to Japan, as I was once a traveler here myself, but I realize what seems interesting in my opinion may be very different from what other people think. This brings me to my question:

Whether you live in Japan, have traveled to Japan before for vacation, or wish to visit someday in the future, in your opinion, what are the top five attractive tourist areas in Japan, and why? Try and be as specific as possible (i.e. Instead of writing gTokyo,h you could write gAsakusa, Tokyo, because of its beautiful temples, historic significance, and excellent traditional foods and souvenir shops.h)

I would really appreciate anyonefs input on this, as the more opinions I get, the more attractive I can make our program look to people considering participating in our symposium. Keep in mind that the symposium will take place in Mito, Ibaraki, so traveling to places such as Okinawa may be possible, but likely unrealistic for most participants. Thanks in advance.
by Kevin  

Tourist Interest 2007/11/13 06:23
In my opinion, the must see in Japan is Kyoto. In Kyoto, the must see items include Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji, Kiyomizudera and Byodo-in Temples. The last one is in Uji, about 25 minutes ride away from Kyoto Station. These temples are one of the best in Japan.

Also, a couple of hours ride away from Kyoto is Himeji Castle, another must see. It is one of the best castles in Japan.

For Tokyo, the unique sights of Tsukiji fish market is something one should try not to miss. Do not forget to have a sushi meal there. Also, Odaiba and Asakusa in Tokyo gives a great contrast of new and old Japan.

A trip to see to Mount Fuji and enjoy the natural beauty the surroundings offer is another great tourist destination.

These should get this topic moving.
by TravelToJapan rate this post as useful

question on your question 2007/11/13 10:51
Couple questions:
1. What is length of time
I would really appreciate anyonefs input on this, as the more opinions I get, the more attractive I can make our program look to people considering participating in our symposium. Keep in mind that the symposium will take place in Mito, Ibaraki, so traveling to places such as Okinawa may be possible, but likely unrealistic for most participants. Thanks in advance
If you are looking for a one/two day trip, for the people who are attending, in the local area (say 2 hour by Shinkansen, 4 hours by bus/car) then thatfll effect the answers you get

2. Any travel restriction. By train, Car or boat only
I am currently working for a Japanese university and helping to put together an activity program for visitors that will come for a large international symposium we are hosting in 2009.

3. General country or select region(s)

Reason why I ask is because I donft know what the full reason of your question is. If you are trying to be a travel agent, to gsellh the country to traveling foreigners, then youfll get answers to support that question. If you are looking for quick, day trip, in Mito Ibaraki area then youfll get answers that wonft be off topic from what you are looking for.
by Pouliot rate this post as useful

5 tourists spots 2007/11/13 14:08
I agree with Pouliot. If the participants travel from ibaraki after the conference and have to go back to Tokyo to fly back home and their time is limited, the trips must be limited to the Tokyo region.
my choice outside Tokyo would be: Kamakura and Nikko (1 day each)
in Tokyo: the Sengakuji temple in Shinagawa, Odaiba, Lafcadio Hearn grave in the
Zoshigaya cemetery (going there with the quaint Arakawa tram),
The best would be to plan different places depending on tastes. I, for one, will never go to the Tsukiji market as I find appalling that tourists would even think of gawking at hard working bother workers.
I like both temples and department stores and also using trains and subways etc.
I just came back from my 8th trip to Japan by the way

by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

more info 2007/11/13 16:55
Thank you Plantagenesta, Pouliot , and TraveltoJapan. Sorry if my explanation was vague. Basically, our main goal is to conduct a successful international symposium on victimology, and this includes trying to attract as many participants as possible. The primary reason for all participants to come to Japan is to participate in the symposium. However, because the majority of participants will be from outside of Asia (Europe and USA to be specific), traveling all the way to Japan is much more significant than if the symposium was held in New York or London, for example.

In an attempt to persuade those who may be on the fence about coming or not, we would like to emphasize some of the finer travel/sightseeing opportunities that Japan has to offer. We will plan detailed itineraries for travel in and around Mito for guests, but we would also like to plan some rough itineraries to some of the better-known sightseeing areas elsewhere in Japan. Basically, the message we want to communicate to possible guests is gIf you participate in our symposium, not only will you be able to discuss victimology with international leaders in the field, but if you have the time/money/interest, you can travel to some of Japanfs most beautiful sightseeing areas with the information we will provide you.g We are not trying to play the role of a travel company, but we want to have something to offer possible guests for advertising purposes.

Money and time is of course going to be a major issue, so 1-2 day trips in or around Kanto would be ideal, but further, more expensive locations are not out of the question. We are still really just in the planning stages, but realistically, we will probably promote 2-3 day single day trips, 2-3 overnight trips, and 1-2 trips that will take longer than two days. By gpromoteh I mean offer route explanations, area hotel information, and information about the areas major sightseeing attractions.

Thank you for taking interest and for the constructive questions. I hope this reply doesnft still leave you confused.
by Kevin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread