Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

The question to ask 2007/11/13 05:33
hey guys, i have to ask you THE question...

why is the Japanese woman more interested in the foreign culture than the japanese man?

may someone brings me some reasons because i'm wondering why :)
by Foxy  

leisure time issue 2007/11/13 09:11
I don't know that that's true.

I would say that Japanese women may have more free time to pursue hobbies related to foreign culture than the men, who typically work really long hours while the women are more likely to work 9 to 5 type hours or be housewives.

Plenty of those men would be just as interested in foreign culture as their wives if they had the spare time to pursue any interests.

What are you thinking of when you say "foreign culture" anyway- language study? movies? salsa dancing? flower arranging? travel?

by Sira rate this post as useful

shyness and language? 2007/11/13 11:21
I also think that both men and women in Japan are equally interested in foreign culture. But additional to Sira's opinion, I think that men can be a bit more shy especially about making a fool of themselves in front of the foreign culture they adore.

Another thing is that I have heard that the females' brains are more fit for liguistic aspects than the males', so that could be another reason why women tend to be more interested in foreign "language". And most Japanese people tend to think that it's difficult to capture foreign culture without knowing the language.
by Uco rate this post as useful

foreign culture 2007/11/14 06:56
lots of Japanese men are interested in foreign cultures.
I know quite a few myself and, when asking directions in the street, have even met guys that spoke 2 of the foreign languages that I speak...by culture I mean history, arts (music, painting, theatre etc.) and food.
Lots of young Japanese women are more likely to be interested in famous foreign goods (clothes, perfumes, bags etc.) than by the cultures that produces these luxury items. they look for the latest expensive fad, not for something French or Italian etc.
Mature Japanese women, like men, are interested in arts too, and of course food. Your question and assumptions are rather juvenile. How many people in your country, or any country for that matter, are truly deeply madly interested in foreign cultures?
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread