Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Driving 2007/11/13 21:59
Hi,

I would like to ask if I'm am able to cover the following itinerary in a day by driving? We are planning to start the trip at 0600hrs and end at 1400hrs.

1) Hakone to Lake Kawaguchi
2) Lake Kawaguchi to 5th station
3) 5th station to Gotemba
4) Gotemba back to Hakone

I wonder how long is it to drive from Hakone to Lake Kawaguchi? What is the distance?

Hope someone will be able to advise.
by Eric  

driving to Kawaguchiko 2007/11/14 16:31
I have not done the exact trip you are planning, but you shouldn't have any problem. I'm guessing - by adding up the teensy little numbers on my map - that Hakone to Kawaguchiko is some fifty or sixty kilometers? The trip from the Tomei to Kawaguchiko has taken us about 1/2 hour, so just add on Tomei - Hakone.
The road from Hakone can be congested on weekends and in nice weather, but early as it is, it should be okay. Gotemba to Kawaguchiko, the same... traffic can crawl along 138 on a nice day, but once you hit the toll road (I recommend the toll road), it should be fine.
Coming back south as you get near the Tomei (to Gotemba), again, it can be congested, but it is usually worse later in the day.
You don't say when you are planning to go - in the winter there is the possibility of snow close to Mt. Fuji. We saw a significant amount on the toll road one January, but just the once.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Hakone Driving 2007/11/17 20:45
Thank you for the reply.
Well I'm going on 18-19Dec. It's a weekday. Think should not be a problem. But How much is the toll? From Gotemba to kawaguchi?
Hope its not too expensive.

by Eric rate this post as useful

Gotemba - Kawaguchiko toll 2007/11/18 14:59
The first part of the trip from Gotemba to Kawaguchiko is on a surface street, four lanes part of the way, two lanes part of the way, then you hit the toll road which has two places to pay 520 yen each (for regular passenger car). I think that's all you have between Gotemba and Kawaguchiko. There are additional toll roads down near Hakone...I'm not sure there.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Gotemba Kawaguchiko 2007/11/22 02:27
Thanks for the reply. Btw I wonder would there be snow during late dec ( ard 19 DEC)? Also I saw that some of the road are closed from November onwards. Hope someone can advice. Thank u
by Eric rate this post as useful

reply to this thread