Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching in Japan 2007/11/16 04:11
I was reading around, and it says that in order to teach english in Japan I need atleast a bachelor's degree. But does this mean any degree? If I get a degree in say architecture, or graphic design, could I teach in japan, until I'm able to become naturalized?
Or do I require a an English degree?
by Faded  

working in Japan 2007/11/17 01:54
Your problem will be to find an employer to sponsor your working visa. I cannot see why a language school will sponsor a non-language bachelor. And do not expect to be able to change from the working visa to a neutralization. Japan is a non immigrant country.
by Peter rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/17 07:43
Actually, any degree is fine and a language specific one is unnecessary except in the higher level jobs such as private schools and universities. The most important thing for the average language school is that you are a native speaker.

If you want to live in Japan permanently, it is possible to get a permanent resident visa after living in Japan for 10 years (less is possible, for example if you are married to a Japanese National, however our lawyers say 11+ years gives you the best shot at getting it in one try). Naturalization is a difficult process that is unnecessary if you become a Permanent Resident unless you want to vote.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

degrees 2007/11/17 09:53
Peter, I know it seems strange, but yellowsmrf is right. People teach at eikaiwas and high schools etc. in Japan with a Bachelor in Fine Arts, Engineering, Architecture, whatever- they aren't picky. Universities are different- they of course want a related degree- Applied Linguistics or TESOL.

No point thinking of naturalisation yet, Faded, even permanent residence is a very long way off for you.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread