Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train/Subway Tickets 2007/11/17 16:57
Hi everyone,

Just returned from a trip to Osaka with my girlfriend... was so good we have decided to go again!

Our next itinerary looks like this:

Dates: 09/05 to 24/05
Days 16
Nights 15

1) Osaka Region for 3 nights
2) Tokyo Region for 8 nights
3) Kyoto Region for 2 nights
4) Osaka Region for 2 nights

We have experience with the Osaka subway system (individual tickets and one day passes)

I assume that we'll be using the subway systems a lot in Tokyo and Kyoto since they are extensive and relatively easy to access.

My question would be the following:

Should I bother with any special JR tickets to get to Tokyo from Osaka; Tokyo to Kyoto and Kyoto to Osaka?

Should I consider going to Tokyo (from Osaka) via bus to save 1) on the fare and 2) one nights accomodation (overnight trip)?

I'm asking the above since we only spent about $100AUD on tickets in our last trip and I don't want to overspend if possible.

Also; would it be safe to assume that the day pass in Tokyo is not 100% necessary provided you're not travelling too much? Single tickets worked out a lot cheaper on some days in our most recent trip.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Stan
by Stan  

fare 2007/11/18 03:35
14 day JR Pass ( what you would need because of your 8 nights stay in Tokyo after Osaka ) is more expensive than shinkansen ShinOsaka - Tokyo - Kyoto - ShinOsaka.
Night bus is cheaper than shinkansen but no sleeping gcomforth compared to hotelroom, so very personal decision.
Tokyo very extensive subway system plus JR and non-JR rail transport.
Kyoto one (area) limited subway system but extensive ( slow in rush hour) bus system.
by Peter rate this post as useful

why? 2007/11/18 08:48
Why so much time in Osaka at the expense of time in Kyoto?
by Tay rate this post as useful

So... 2007/11/18 16:07
Thanks guys...

I'm a little confused; why would I get a 14 day JR pass if my intention is to use the Subway system once in Tokyo?

Anyways; I've decided on catching a bus (JR Dream) up to Tokyo as it is Y3,500 per person. I'll then catch a shinkansen back to Kyoto from Tokyo; then a subway back to Osaka.

Question: how does one book onto the JR Dream bus if one does not speak/write Japanese?

Lastly to answer the question of why Osaka over Kyoto... we both love eating / amusements so Osaka is a better option :)
by Stan rate this post as useful

trip 2007/11/18 16:44
there is no subway from Kyoto to Osaka but a choice of several trains companies: JR, Hanshin and Hankyu. All three end up in Osaka-Kita.
both Hankyu and Hanshin stations are by their department stores of the same name. These 2 companies are also cheaper than JR when it comes to single tickets. There are other rail companies between Osaka and Kyoto that go to other areas of Osaka...
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/18 16:57
Just to explain (hopefully correctly) why Peter mentioned the 14-day JR pass at all:
The logic is that if you make the round trip between Tokyo and Kyoto within a 7-day period, then it makes sense to buy a 7-day JR Pass (those passes are good if you make long-distance trips within the validity periods). But since you are spending 8 days in Tokyo, this one does not make sense, so the next candidate would be the 14-day pass. But yet, as Peter concluded correctly, buying single tickets between Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka comes out less expensive than buying the 14-day pass, thus the comment.

Please note that depending on exactly where you want to go within Tokyo, you might still need to use the local JR trains, such as Yamanote Line, to get to places, if not covered by subways. Still, buying single tickets would make more sense than buying JR pass.

For the leg between Kyoto - Osaka, you could use Hankyu or Hanshin private railway lines (non-JR), or you could use JR Line as well. But as mentioned, there is no subway between these two cities.

The amount of AU$100 from your previous trip sounds very low - that must have been because you stayed in one city. If you want to save on transportation, buses would be better, as one-way on Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka costs something like 12,000 or 13,000 yen per person.
by AK rate this post as useful

Got it! Bus Bookings? 2007/11/18 17:59
Thanks for that info guys...

I am aware that there is no direct Subway from Kyoto to Osaka - what I was referring to was the alternatives to the JR - thanks for clarifying though.

My next question (repeated from above):

How do I book myself onto the JR Bus Tour (overnight Dream) - it is advertised here (http://www.kakuyasubus.jp/kanto_kansai/youth_megadream/index...) for Y3,500 one way which means instead of spending close to Y26,000 for two people I can get away with around Y7,000.

There is a booking form but I'm not literate in Japanese - is there an English service; or agent who we can contact to make the necessary booking?
by Stan rate this post as useful

bus in Japan 2007/11/19 04:31
you could try JTB in Australia. You got nothing to loose!
www.japantravel.com.au/
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

reply to this thread