Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Some Japanese grammar doubts 2007/11/17 22:35
Dear All

Kindly help me to understand the grammar in the followings questions;

1) れいぞこうに ぶどう (が)
いれてあります
In the (), why can`t I use を?

2) なつ (なのに), ことしは あまり あつくありません
In (), why can`t に or just のに is used? Any tips on using のに、に、and なのに which can relate to this type of sentence 2)?

Thank you for your help!

best rgds
Jason
by Jason  

Hello Jason 2007/11/18 12:20
1) れいぞうこに ぶどう (が) いれてあります

I might say grammatically speaking "wo" is also possible. But the meaning changes. With "ga," it means "There are grapes put in the fridge." And with "wo," it means "I have placed the grapes into the fridge." So the first one is talking about what's available in the fridge, while the second is talking about "what I've done with the grapes."

2) なつ (なのに), ことしは あまり あつくありません

Please review the explanation on "...na noni" on another thread. This whole sentence is a combination of to sentences:

なつ です (it is summer)

ことしは あまり あつくありません (it is not that hot this year)

When you combine the two sentences with ".... but...." (noni), you need to turn the "desu" of the first sentence into the connective form "na" before you join them with "noni."
by AK rate this post as useful

Sorry 2007/11/18 12:21
Whoops, I meant to say:

This whole sentence is a combination of two sentences:
by AK rate this post as useful

yes yes nanoni 2007/11/18 13:51
Dear AK

Wow that is another perfect explanation and help given by you. Thank you once again.

I understood now.
And for the na no ni, I could understand now. I refer back to your previous explanation. I could have understood. But I just can`t believe it is right about the short sentence of `It is summer ` (なつです).

Thanks for teaching me.
Good weekend AK!

best rgds
Jason
by Jason rate this post as useful

reply to this thread