Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

is it possible to walk around Tokyo 2007/11/19 08:32
- eg. from Shinjuku to Shibuya without taking transport etc
by Susie Q  

yes 2007/11/19 12:12
It would take you a while to walk from Shinjuku to Shibuya, but yes, it's possible.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Yes 2007/11/19 12:49
If you plan your trip you can take the train to a station, then walk around that station, visit the sites, etc. Then take the train back to the station near your hotel. It worked out very good for me.
by Ken rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/19 13:34
I've done Shibuya to Shinjuku. It's about 3.5 km which took about 2 hours at a leisurely pace which included some shopping.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Walking around Tokyo 2007/11/19 20:25
Walking around certainly can be done, but often it's way easier to take transport. As always some areas are better than others. If it's only a stop or two it's not too bad and there can be some scenice places. I've walked from Roppongi to Shibuya, but basically that's following the Expressway and not much to see (and took a while). On the upside if you're goin from Shinjuku to Shibuya, you can always get to see a bit of Yoyogi park and maybe Harajuku. Will take a while though.
by Paul rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/20 00:15
More than possible so long as you have the time and feet/legs for it. Carry a compass and a good map (like Kodansha's Tokyo City Atlas) since it is easy to lose your bearings.

I've walked across the city (Kanda to Shibuya), Shibuya to Takadanobaba, Akihabara to Nippori, Kanda to Hamamatsucho. Takes several hours for each of these sort of legs depending on your pace and whatever time it takes from the discoveries that happen along the way.

Just this weekend, I crisscrossed the backstreets from Harajuku Station to Omotesando for around 4 hours before stopping for tonkatsu at Maisen. Was sick of the crush of humanity crowding the main sidewalks. I then stopped for a chocolate ice cream crepe at Angel Hearts and then walked off both of those by walking in and around Yoyogi-koen after visiting Meiji Jingu.
by Senbei rate this post as useful

Shoes 2007/11/20 00:28
Walking in Tokyo is fun but my feet always hurt like hell there so I usually use the subway for the longer stretches and save my dogs for getting around the destination spots. I have learned that excellent walking shoes are worth the investment. Maybe if you're young it doesn't matter so much, but...

The map is important, too. As Senbei says, it is easy to lose your bearings.

Tonkatsu and crepes--sounds like my kind of meal plan. Oh, I wish I were there!
by Uma rate this post as useful

Possible, but tiring. 2007/11/20 08:27
We just returned from a 2 week trip to Japan and had 6 days in Tokyo. Walked at least 10 hrs. per day and that's using trains a couple times a day. Much easier to pick an area, walk within that area and take a train to another major area. Walking to other areas is tiring and very easy to get lost even with a map. Trains are very easy to use after a couple of times. People are very helpful everywhere.
by Ducky2 rate this post as useful

...along the Meguro river... 2007/11/20 13:06
My wife and I like to take the morning walk along the bank of Meguro River whenever we are visiting Tokyo. This would lead us all the way to Ebisu. It takes about 30 minutes.
by tju rate this post as useful

walking is easy 2007/11/23 22:28
Alot of the station, especially in the Shinjuku/Shibuya area are really close together. Japanese people will tell you that it can't be done, but it is actually very realistic. I have walked Shibuya to Shinjuku many times after missing last train and it is quite direct and can be done in under an hour easily. That being said, it is always much nicer to be on a train, especially in winter.
by JMinTokyo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread