Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Experienced the new Immigration System? 2007/11/20 16:08
Immigration has begun fingerprinting and photographing all foreigners entering Japan. If you have been through this process please post your experiences.

We are interested in the following questions:
  1. Have you been through immigration previously and how would you compare the wait times using the new system?

2. Were the facilities in place sufficient to process everyone in line in a reasonable amount of time?

3. Were the staff knowledgeable about the new system?

4. Approximately how much time did you spend at the immigration counter?

5. Were you asked any questions by the immigration officers, and if so what types of questions were they?

6. If you are a resident of Japan, did you preregister for the automatic gates and how was the preregistration process?

7. If you preregistered, did it significantly speed up the waiting time?

Please understand that this is NOT a forum for discussion on the merits/politics of the new system. We are only interested in the process itself, and hearing from people who have experienced it.

Also, please take our immigration survey here.
by admin  

New Immigration System 2007/11/25 12:40
My wife and I visited Japan about 7 times plus whenever we fly from Honolulu - HNL to Hong Kong - HK, we connect via Narita. We spent 2 weeks in Japan this past May and just returned from HK yesterday 11/23/07. We always exit the transit area to kill some of our 5 hrs connecting time visiting the shopping mall.
1. The Imm Officer does the same thing as in the past. The added procedure is for you to place both index fingers on a small machine with a small instructional screen/monitor, press down lightly and the screen will count down 3, 2, 1 and snap your photo. The fingerprinting machine is ultra sensitive requiring re-doing about 3 times. The ADDED TIME is about another 2 minutes more. This sensitivity of the machine will probably be recalibrated to improve over time.
2. The Imm Officers and guides/coordinators were well prepared with sufficient staffing. The staff made every effort to cut the wait time. The total time depends if a number of flights arrive the same time. I'd say the line was about half the "roped" area for Non-Residents. Coordinators will divert Non-Res to the Residents' Imm Officers to speed the process. It took us 30 min from when we stood in line up to when we cleared the Imm Officer, less than we expected. The new procedure started ll/20 and we were there 11/23.
3. Staff well prepared and knowledgeable since the process is very simple.
4. Spent about 2 minutes longer at the counter for finger-printing/photo process.
5. Both my wife and I were NOT asked any questions by Imm Off other than their confirming that we were in Transit, exiting the Transit area to shop in the nakamise (inside shops) and leaving that evening.
6. I don't understand what you mean by pre-registering but we did not pre-register for anything. I don't think you can pre-register for the Imm Process.
7. See #6 above.

I asked and was informed that you will be finger-printed and photograph EVERYTIME you enter Japan. There's nothing to worry about except to make sure you smile for the camera. Aloha!
by Harold rate this post as useful

I just did 2007/12/6 01:14
1. Have you been through immigration previously and how would you compare the wait times using the new system?

For my experience its the same time all the flight i did take to japan i went by Kansai Airport and i arrive around 17h30 for all the gaijin the wait time is around 2min and with the new system its maybe 2min30 sec

2. Were the facilities in place sufficient to process everyone in line in a reasonable amount of time?

Yes it the same the only difference is that they have a little box at every desk or counter with a little finger print and picture machine

yes and no they seem to know what they are doing but i didn't need to ask question

1min too 2min

5. Were you asked any questions by the immigration officers, and if so what types of questions were they?

No i add a re-entry permit

So in conclusion its prety fast not much diference exepte that you put you finger on a machine wen the guy ask you question and you need to smile for the picture! For my part no difference!

Igo
by Igo rate this post as useful

Yes I have 2007/12/6 11:04
We are interested in the following questions:

Have you been through immigration previously and how would you compare the wait times using the new system?
- Much longer wait.

Were the facilities in place sufficient to process everyone in line in a reasonable amount of time?
-No.

Were the staff knowledgeable about the new system?
- No.

Approximately how much time did you spend at the immigration counter?
- 5 minutes.

Were you asked any questions by the immigration officers, and if so what types of questions were they?
- None.

If you are a resident of Japan, did you preregister for the automatic gates and how was the preregistration process?
- I am, but I didn't.

by Mothra rate this post as useful

New immigration system 2007/12/6 19:51
We arrived there on Nov 27 and it was our first time there so i couldn't make any comparison. However, the japanese are very efficient. It took me maybe less than 2 min at the counter. And, for children, no fingerprint nor photo taken (if i remembered correctly). No questions were asked.
by LSP rate this post as useful

US Military 2007/12/9 04:36
My son (US Air Force in Okinawa) flew into Kansai on December 5 from Detroit. He was not photographed or fingerprinted. They waved him on through.

Evidently, US miliary traveling on orders are not subject to the new immigration system.

Just a FYI.
by Paul rate this post as useful

new Immigration System 2007/12/10 09:05
"Have you been through immigration previously and how would you compare the wait times using the new system?"

I arrived on the 20/11 At Narita airport,and was informed that the new Immigration System started that day. I would say the waiting time would be similar to all my other previous visits.

"Were the facilities in place sufficient to process everyone in line in a reasonable amount of time?"

I would definetely say they were.

"Approximately how much time did you spend at the immigration counter?"

3 minutes.

"Were you asked any questions by the immigration officers, and if so what types of questions were they?"

No question asked.
by liem rate this post as useful

Good experience 2007/12/13 13:19
Meanwhile, I entered Japan via Narita twice under the new Immigration System. As a Re Entry Holder, I could make use of the two orange special lanes for foreign residents. Zero waiting time. Processing by the inspector, finger printing and taking photo all together less than a minute. No questions asked.

Even faster compared to the previous situation, when I was entitled to use the "natives" lanes.
by Andrew rate this post as useful

No hassle at all 2007/12/21 21:52
Just got back from yet another holiday in Japan.This is my experience:

1 minute or so longer.

I think so.

Yes.

About 2 to 3 minutes.

No.

Overall, I would describe the process as efficient. An additional minute to take a photo and fingerprints is negligible. I have gone through the same process at US international airports. The entire process and the questions they asked me took quite some time, not to mention the endless lines of people awaiting their turns.
by Geoffrey rate this post as useful

New Disembarkation Procedures 2007/12/27 12:12
My wife and went through the new procedures last Wednesday (19/12) when we were at Narita airport.
We were at the immigration check point at 7.20am waited in the line of about 60 people in front of us, of which nearly half were children ( those below sixteen do not required fingerprinting and photographing).Five counters were open at that time. By 7.40 am, we cleared the immigration.
Everything is done by a small color monitor ( about eight inches in size)on every counter facing the visitor. A camera is attached on the top of the monitor and the fingers printing at the bottom. Instructions in English and graphic display appear on the screen to show how and where to put the index fingers. After this, picture will be taken by a count of three seconds. All is done within six seconds ( another three seconds to wait for the picture ready). It is very simple and highly efficient, no questions asked. The immigration officer was very helpful and more concerned to get things done in order.
Comparing the Japanese system to that of states', I would say the former is more high tech and efficient( the camera and the fingers printing devices are separated in America, the immigration officer asks more questions).
The only confusion that morning was the line coordinator who was manning both the visitors line as well as the residents'. As the result, certain counters had more people and some less.
On the whole, it does not take much longer than before to clear the immigration.

by tju rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/27 14:21
My son (US Air Force in Okinawa) flew into Kansai on December 5 from Detroit. He was not photographed or fingerprinted. They waved him on through.

Evidently, US miliary traveling on orders are not subject to the new immigration system.

Just a FYI.

Members of the military fall under SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) and do not require fingerprinting and photographing as long as they have the appropriate documents with them. (eg military ID, travel orders, etc)
by John rate this post as useful

a-ok for me 2007/12/28 20:30
I had no problems. Maybe spent 15 minutes in line. The gentlemen in charge of the line was a little flustered do to a large korean tour group(the members in the back were cutting in front of other people to join the rest of the group in the front).

The guy who checked me in was polite enough.

All in all it was fine. And to be brutely honest, I find the American system more irritating and degrading. In general I find the TSA employee treat everyone like dirt and are way ruder.

Furthermore, I find that if you're polite over here they'll treat you pretty nice. Doesn't hurt too to throw in a gokurousama in there. They'll usually smile and look a little embarassed :)
by NYCBunny rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/31 17:42
Have you been through immigration previously and how would you compare the wait times using the new system?

Same as before. Virtually no waiting time for "re-entry" permit holders.

Were the facilities in place sufficient to process everyone in line in a reasonable amount of time?

The "foreign passport" line looked somewhat long. I estimate a waiting time of 15 minutes. Compared to the virtually non existing lines at the "Japanese passport" and "re-entry permit" counters, I think they should have allocated more counters to the "foreign passport" lines.

Were the staff knowledgeable about the new system?

Yes.

Approximately how much time did you spend at the immigration counter?

Less than a minute. The fingerprints were taken on first attempt (about 5 seconds), the photographing took less than 10 seconds and the usual procedure with the passport another 10-20 seconds.

Were you asked any questions by the immigration officers, and if so what types of questions were they?

No.

If you are a resident of Japan, did you preregister for the automatic gates and how was the preregistration process?

No, I did not pre-register. But there was a pre-registered person in the "re-entry" line in front of me. When he reached the top, he was re-directed to the "automatic gate" line. he was still talking to the officer at the automatic gate when I had already finished my procedure. As long as there are separate lanes for "re-entry permit" holders, I fail to see the reason for pre-registering. To the opposite, it seems to only cause more effort.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/4 19:47
1) Have you been through immigration previously and how would you compare the wait times using the new system?

Yes I have been through before. This time the queing was considerable longer, though maybe it was just a busy time of day (10am). It took about 25 mins to get through the line (as opposed to maybe 7 mins last time, though that was around 7PM, and the queue was shorter). Another point I noted though is that you also have to fill in a customs form now before the baggage check (before the exit).

2) Were the facilities in place sufficient to process everyone in line in a reasonable amount of time?

It did seem to take a fair bit longer to get through. However, most of the counters were open.

3) Were the staff knowledgeable about the new system?

The staff member seemed confident and knew what she was doing.

4) Approximately how much time did you spend at the immigration counter?

About 2 to 3 minutess at the counter.

5) Were you asked any questions by the immigration officers, and if so what types of questions were they?

I was just asked who I was staying with and whay (as the address was my parents in law place in Ehime I guess, rather than a hotel).

6) If you are a resident of Japan, did you preregister for the automatic gates and how was the preregistration process?

N/A

7) If you preregistered, did it significantly speed up the waiting time?

N/A
by Paul rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/7 09:17

No noticeable time difference.

Yes

Yes

About 1-3 minutes. There was a dedicated line for re-entry permit holders.

No questions asked by Immigration Officers.

Customs Officers asked the standard questions, but they don't work with Immigration.

6. If you are a resident of Japan, did you preregister for the automatic gates and how was the preregistration process?
The airport terminal I use does not have the automatic gates, therefore there is no real benefit for me to pre-register.

by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread