Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translating ''playground love.'' 2007/11/21 06:08
I would like to translate the above phrase, and I've already settled on 遊び場 for playground, but I'm having some issues with ''love.'' I want to translate the noun form of the word used to describe a person, not a concept. I know various words like 恋人 and 愛人, but I don't really know anything about the connotation behind said words. I want the word to convey romantic implications in a relatively classy manner, but nothing overly restrained or old-fashioned. And my other question concerns the use of a particle between the two words. I assume の is a pretty safe bet, but I was wondering if に(marking the place of existence) would work better, or if it would even make sense without the use of a verb. I'd really appreciate any help with this.
by nakysnaky  

playground love? 2007/11/21 13:57
If you're trying to convey the concept of a first love, or young love, the Japanese phrase is "初恋", hatsukoi (初恋の人).

If you're set on using "playground" maybe the 恋の人 can still be used.
by Kate rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/21 15:02
What is "playground love"? Is it love as a schoolboy/girl?

"Hatsukoi" is "first love", so there is only one person qualified, and it could even be someone 60 years old if that person happens to be your very first love one.

If you want to emphasize that your love happened in your very younger days, people usually say "kodomo no koro (ni) suki datta ko" (a kid I loved in my childhood) or "koko-jidai no kanojo" (girlfriend from high school) and such.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/11/22 12:38
Both of those answers help a lot, thanks. I'm thinking about 初恋, now, but I initially just wanted a close to literal translation of ''playground love.''
by nakysnaky rate this post as useful

How about this? 2007/12/1 05:26
Now I know this would be very clunky in English, but to the native speakers here, does this sound clumsy or awkward:
遊び場で会う初恋?
by nakysnaky rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/1 11:16
Um, the last one you have is definitely clumsy... the problem being that "asobiba" only means "playing place," and does not denote the playground that *children* play in. So as Uco-san described earlier, saying "in my childhood" or "in my high school days," etc. would be better.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

cultural translation 2007/12/1 12:56
遊び場で会う初恋 would definitely be interpreted as "the first lover I'm seeing at a sex club";p

I think the problem is that in your "hatsukoi" days which are usually in your teens or much much younger, you are too young to use the bookish term "asobiba".

If you must use the word "playground" meaning not "school ground" but "a place like a park with swings and sand", how about 公園で逢ってたあのコ(that sweet girl/guy I used to meet at the park)? Or if you never had a relationship, but only a crush from a distance, いつも公園にいたあのコ (that sweet girl/guy who was always at the park) will be better. But it must be a "park" and not a "school yard", because "school yard" is 校庭
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread