Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan 2007/11/21 14:44
Hi, I am 21 year olds from england and want to move to Japan, unfortunately I don't have a degree but I am not fussy on how I enter and what I have to do once inside.
I know of working holiday visas, are these easy to obtain and how long will one take to obtain?
I would like to study in Japan and find a way to live longterm, what would be my best course of action? I already have a good grasp of the language.
Please help any way possible.

by Damian  

immigration 2007/11/21 23:29
Japan is not an immigration country. You cannot just "enter and live long term". To study at a Japanese University you need level 1 of the JLPT, what means you are very fluent in Japanese. Regarding working holiday visa for UK citizen see: http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/
by Peter rate this post as useful

Moving to Japan 2007/11/22 01:28
Hi, thank you for your answer,
yes I am fully aware how strict immigration is in Japan and I don't have any intention to wonder in and do nothing.
'To study at a Japanese University you need level 1 of the JLPT'
Does passing the JLPT qualification help in me getting into unversity or are you just referring to my level of Japanese?

by Damien rate this post as useful

Japan 2007/11/22 08:31
Actually these days instead of the JLPT the university requirement is the Nihongo Ryuugaku Shiken, a slightly more practical test for potential university students. That is just for the Japanese level you need, the universities will then have other academic criteria. It can also be very expensive to study here.

Your best bet is the working holiday visa- each country's application procedure is slightly different, I think in the UK it is necessary to go to the Embassy in London for an interview- the embassy will have a website you can check details of this.

The WH visa is for one year- you will not be eligible to live in Japan long term unless you complete a Bachelor's degree, whether in Japan or your home country.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Studying in Japan 2007/11/22 09:03
Hi, thanks never knew about that particular exam, I will definitely look into taking it, Is it only available in Asia?
If so I guess I'll take it in Japan.

Yeh basically that is my problem, I would like to study in Japan but will it be ok and will I have enough time, could I apply for a holiday work visa and then a student visa inside Japan or study with just a holiday work visa, it is just a little complicated, I would like to leave as soon as possible but I don't want to have to come back and return later on.
I have heard that people can work with a student visa but you need permission from local office in Japan, is it something I can rely on?

by Damien rate this post as useful

reply to this thread