Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fingerprints in Japan 2007/11/21 23:26
Can someone please help, When someone enters Japan and has their finger prints taken, does this show they have a minor criminal record or is this only for really bad crimes (interpol) and know terrorists?
by Anon  

... 2007/11/22 09:56
does this show they have a minor criminal record or is this only for really bad crimes (interpol) and know terrorists?

It is only for really bad crimes, terrorists and people who have been deported from Japan before.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/22 13:09
The digital fingerprint system they use at airports and seaports is connected to Japanese intelligence system. It'll show ALL criminal records a person has, if any, in five seconds. That's what I heard.
by sachy rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/22 13:43
The digital fingerprint system they use at airports and seaports is connected to Japanese intelligence system. It'll show ALL criminal records a person has, if any, in five seconds. That's what I heard.

That is highly unlikely, as the logistics to check against all countries' record are unrealistic.

Although they aren't saying which lists they are checking against they are most likely the US terrorist watch list, a list of previous deportees from Japan, and whatever lists Interpol keeps.

I suspect that they don't compare against Japanese police fingerprint records, and I doubt that they have the capability to check against any other countries' domestic police records.

The system is in place to prevent terrorists (very unlikely) and repeat visa offenders (most likely) from entering Japan, not to keep out petty criminals.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/22 14:24
The system is based on Japanese Intelligence (which they don't have a large program in, eg nothing like the CIA, or Mi6) and anything on the international wanted (INTERPOL) listed that is shared between countries. Pretty much, the international terrorist watch list, interpol (international crimes) and Japan's own police or deportation records.

It is highly unlikely for example, if you were arrested for shop lifting in Idaho for it to appear on the Japanese system.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread