Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Looking for JR Bus schedule 2007/11/23 01:43
We plan to visit Japan next october, doing a week-long train trip from Sapporo to Tokyo, but mostly traveling on the west coast. In the book "Japan by Rail" by Ramsey Zarifeh, I found a intersting looking side trip from Aomori to Odate using mostly JR busses, passing Mt. Odate and Lake Towada.

However, I wasn't able to find a website that has schedules for those JR busses. Both on Jorudan and Hyperdia, mostly train connections between Aomori and Odate are shown and if it is a bus connection, it is not the one via Mt Hakkoda.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
by Brandis  

... 2007/11/23 08:53
This page has information about the JR buses in that region:
http://www.jrbustohoku.co.jp/english.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/11/23 17:05
Thanks a lot, this website is very helpful.

I noticed that while on the map a bus line between Towadako and Towada Minami (Towada Minami line) is shown, there is no timetable for it. Is this bus not running in winter?
by Brandis rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/24 08:15
There is a non-JR bus between Towadako and Towada-Minami Station, but it does not seem to operate in winter. The one way trip takes one hour and costs 1130 yen. Not covered by the Japan Rail Pass. There are 3-4 buses per day, but not in winter, it seems.

The JR Bus Towada-minami Line does not exist anymore.

Non-JR-Bus 2007/11/24 08:54
Thanks Uji!

So maybe that bus would still run in mid-October when we are planning on passing there.

Do you know if there is a schedule online for this bus?

On the other hand, is it worth the effort to pass through Oirase valley, if we do not plan on getting off the bus, just taking it as an alternative route from Aomori to Akita?
by Brandis rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/24 09:14
So maybe that bus would still run in mid-October when we are planning on passing there.

Yes, that is likely. This year, it runs until November 4.

Do you know if there is a schedule online for this bus?

Here you go:
http://www.oodate.or.jp/shuhoku/bus/

Departures from Towadako:
8:40, 12:20 and 15:50

On weekdays only there is an additional departure at 10:20 by a different company.

Travel duration: 64 minutes.

On the other hand, is it worth the effort to pass through Oirase valley, if we do not plan on getting off the bus, just taking it as an alternative route from Aomori to Akita?

I think it is a very lovely valley. There are many ways to enjoy it. I think you can even get some glances at it from the bus. Or you could walk it for a few kilometers and board the bus further down the valley. Or you could just walk the valley down a little bit and then return to the lake.

Towada Minami Bus 2008/10/9 15:59
Uji,

What's the name of the bus company with a 10:20 departure time from Towadako?
Is there a website i check?

Also, what date does the Towadako - TowadaMinami bus operate until for 2008?
by Carol rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/11 20:03
What's the name of the bus company with a 10:20 departure time from Towadako?

Towada Taxi (but they also operate buses)

Is there a website i check?

They have a website, but no information on the buses.

Also, what date does the Towadako - TowadaMinami bus operate until for 2008?

November 3. But there is likely to be some reduced bus connection even after November 3.

reply to this thread