Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which age group for teaching English? 2007/11/27 03:17
I wasn't sure which section this belonged in, but here it is. I'm thinking seriously about becoming an English teacher in Japan in a few years, and I was wondering which age group would be the easiest to teach? I've heard Japanese children are more respectful. Would you think it easiest to teach elementary or middle to high school aged children? Although I'm still exploring my choices, I am grateful for any responses. Thanks!
by Nicole  

depends on you 2007/11/27 10:11
What age group is best to teach is a personal thing. Different age groups have different advantages/ drawbacks, and different people have different preferences.

Generally speaking, what is your favourite age for children? That is probably your answer right there.
by Sira rate this post as useful

teaching in Japanese schools 2007/11/27 19:02
I too had heard about the respectful Japanese children. My experiences have been in Junior High and High School, and the school differ wildly depending on the academic level. One of the schools at which I taught was the lowest ranking school in the prefecture, and the students routinely:
-came late
-did their makeup during class
-got up and left class
- did e-mail during class
- read manga and magazines during class
- carried on conversations throughout class.
That said, I never felt fearful of the students, and they were never blatantly insulting or threatening. They just....didn't care. The attitude of the teachers was more 'persuasion' vice disciplinarian.
Very interesting, really, but not at all what people think of when they think of Japanese schools.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

reply 2007/11/29 09:15
Spendthrift, I have no doubt that regardless of their location, children are pretty much the same the world over. But of course, growing up in different cultures has some effect. The way you described the students sounds an awful lot like students at public schools here in America. I guess the real question is whether I want to deal with potentially intimidating teenagers or rowdy kids. I have plenty of time to think about. Thanks for the advice, guys!
by Nicole rate this post as useful

reply to this thread