Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where are the bboys and bgirls? 2007/12/3 13:39
I'm going to Japan next year and I was wondering what area has the biggest breakdance culture.
If anyone has any information for me on how I can get in contact and hook up with the breakdance scene in Japan I will be SO thankful!
by bgirl  

Harajuku and Shibuya 2007/12/4 00:57
Hey I just came back from Japan, it was my first time and I already plan on going back next year! I'm a hip hop head myself and I would definitely recommend Shibuya train station as well as Harajuku Park. There are always some sort of street performances going on in those areas. Lots of bboys and bgirls doing their thing. Hip hop has a huge following in Japan, and I would also suggest the HMV in Shibuya, which has the largest collection of hip hop (both commercial AND underground) I have ever seen. Have fun on your trip!
by T rate this post as useful

B-boys/b-girls in Japan 2007/12/4 12:37
To T: the park you`re talking about is called Yoyogi park, not Harajuku park. Yoyogi Park is home to the B-boy park event, but I think that happens in the fall. You probably can find some random dancers around the park though.

Shibuya and Harajuku are popular places for B-kei if you want to meet people. There are quite a few hip-hop clubs in both areas as well as Shinjuku and Roppongi. There are a lot of dancers are too young to go to clubs and you can find them practicing outside of large deparment stores that have glass (they use the glass for mirrors). I`m not sure about time but I wanna say between 8pm and 10pm.

At HMV, you can find free magazines like "Movement" which lists dance schools and dances events around Japan.

Also if you`re in Tokyo I believe there is a TV show that airs named "Super Chample" which features dancers. The show goes to different parts of Japan and shows people practicing and what not. "Ryuha-R" is another hip-hop oriented TV show which showcased music artists, dancers, and clubs.
by Banna rate this post as useful

reply to this thread