Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 31

1 2
next

travel in winter 2007/12/4 17:04
we are in Japan in January for 4 days. Will it be too cold to visit Nikko or Kyoto or Takayama? Would we be better off just staying in Tokyo.
by karen  

... 2007/12/5 08:43
No, it is never too cold. You just have to bring appropriate clothes!

Average daytime highs for January:
Kyoto: 8 to 10 degrees
Takayama: 2 to 4 degrees
Nikko (Lake Chuzenji): -1 to 1 degrees

Average nighttime lows for January:
Kyoto: 0 to 2 degrees
Takayama: -7 to -4 degrees
Nikko (Lake Chuzenji): -9 to -7 degrees

Actual temperatures are usually within +/- 5 degrees of teh average values.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/5 08:43
The temperatures in Tokyo are comparable to those in Kyoto.

. 2007/12/5 08:48
Kyoto can be cold sometimes and it's often windy in Tokyo. I recommend bringing a windbreaker with you.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

winter in kyoto 2007/12/7 23:09
Hi all, i was wondering when this site describes the a downer to travelling Japan in winter as being short days (sun sets 5.30pm) and barren vegetation.. can someone tell me how barren? No leaves, hibernating trees ok.. but just dead grey (bordering on ugly) barren? If this happens to be the case :( then i might save the money by visiting less barren shrines and traditional gardens and spend more days in a city shopping.. or something.

Any comments appreciated. Thank you.
by Olin rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/8 07:38
can someone tell me how barren?

Many hills, mountains and fields are brownish, which, in comparison to the deep green of spring and summer and the reds and yellows of autumn, is somewhat less attractive, unless there is snow, which is very attractive again. Then again, many places in central and southern Japan don't get much snow.

Obviously, this does not apply very much to cityscapes. But gardens and (snow free) landscapes are definitely more attractive outside of winter, in my opinion.

winter travel 2007/12/8 10:53
Most of central Honshu has a mix of evergreens and deciduous trees, so it's not totally barren, though the predominate color in the Kanto plain is kind of brown. Brown trees, brown vegetation. Not so bad, but not great.
On the other hand, from the Kanto plain, you have your best chance of seeing magnificent views of Mt. Fuji in winter.
Around temples and shrines, many trees are cedars and so still dark green and magnificent. I think Nikko in winter is better than summer - the colors of the shrines and the huge trees are such a contrast. I'd love to see it in snow sometime.
For me, the best part of winter in Japan is to get out of the temperate no-snow Kanto area and into the mountains where there is most likely snow. Onsen towns are fabulous in winter. Nothing like walking around outside in yukata and that woolen coat whose name I always forget, after soaking in a hot onsen, knowing you're going to go back into that onsen to get warm again. Outside of the Kanto area, much of Honshu is a mountainous, snowy place. I didn't get that until I lived there. The villages kind of hunker down and the atmosphere takes a step backwards in time. Shirakawa-go is unforgettable in snow. Takayama is amazing in snow (also treacherous to walk around in). In late January one year I happened upon a winter festival in Matsumoto - only a little snow, but ice sculptures all around the castle. Even if you don't ski, Nozawa onsen is a great place to walk around and take in the air.
Japan is not the same in winter - no doubt about it. But if I were coming in winter, I'd make an effort to go out and find the snow.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

thank you Uji and Spendthrift 2007/12/8 13:05
Aw.. I'll be travelling 29 Jan - 19 Feb and it hit me whilst planning that i would be there in winter, so was a little disappointed but couldn't expect the landscapes to be at their best compared to spring or autumn.

Can anyone tell me if any of these locations lose their charm or there are complications with seeing them in winter? Please.

Down Kyoto - kyushu Island:
- Mount Inasa for its night views. Too cold/windy?
- Nagasaki's Chinatown. Do they have the lanterns up all year? Is it large? It looked really colourful and pretty.
- A side trip to Mount Aso. Do they still do tours in Winter?
- Sakurajima the active volcano..

Thank you.

... 2007/12/10 09:09
As pointed out by Spendthrift, there are many great things to do in winter. What I like most about winter in the Kanto area are the many sunny days and the fresh, clear air. Hot springs are most enjoyable in winter.

Mount Inasa for its night views. Too cold/windy?

Mount Inasa is all about the views. They remain good throughout the year. May be even clearer in winter. It is never too cold if you bring appropriate clothes.

Nagasaki's Chinatown. Do they have the lanterns up all year?

The decoration changes. I don't know how it will look in February.

Is it large?

No, it is small.

A side trip to Mount Aso. Do they still do tours in Winter?

This is a place that I imagine to be not quite as nice during winter as it is during late spring and summer. But the volcanic sights are still impressive, and there are some great hot springs nearby (Kurokawa is my favorite).

Sakurajima the active volcano..

Good around the year.

. 2008/1/2 20:04
Awesome, thank you Uji :)

I came across an article that writes that in September 2007 a Chusonji - Motsuji Walk was completed... it sounds and looks beautiful, and i would be up for it, but seeing as i would be there in winter i was wondering if it would be a bit dangerous to walk along... as its not a road but a wooden walkway spanning 3kms... and it snows up there and there are warning signs for black bears? Though black bears are suppose to be nocturnal...

. 2008/1/2 21:42
Um another question also, any replies would be very helpful and thank you.

Between the Sapporo Snow Festival and the Tokamachi Snow Festival... the latter has the longest history but i think the Sapporo one is larger? I was wondering which one is better? Better in the sense that accommodation won't be booked out months in advance,
ease of travelling to the different sights, Sapporo has its sculptures in 3 different areas, could i walk between them? If i visited Sapporo where can i find an outline of its events so i can choose a few days most interesting to me to stay there... also would hostel prices be raised because of the festival in both places? Do prices tend to raise because a festival is being held?

... 2008/1/3 11:37
Sorry, I am neither familiar with the Chusonji - Motsuji Walk nor the Tokamachi Snow Festival.

Here is the official website of the festival:
http://www.snowfes.jp/

Sapporo has its sculptures in 3 different areas, could i walk between them?

You can walk between Odori Park and Susukino, but Sato Land is more remote. However, all the spectacular sculptures are concentrated in Odori Park. It is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5311.html

Ironically, accommodation might be more difficult to find in Tokamachi (there is not much to begin with), especially for foreigners. But Tokamachi could theoretically be visited in a day trip from Tokyo.

also would hostel prices be raised because of the festival in both places? Do prices tend to raise because a festival is being held?

Some accommodation do, but many don't. Ryokan are more likely to do so. Business hotels and hostels less likely.

. 2008/1/3 15:33
Thank you Uji :) Your information has helped me cement some decisions.

Another question to help me decide please. How is the Ritsurin Koen in winter? Mid/End of February. Its Japan's largest Japanese style landscape garden, but in winter it may all brown and barren... and nothing would be blooming? So is it worthwhile to visit? It seems Takamatsu doesn't get much snow either...

... 2008/1/5 10:57
How is the Ritsurin Koen in winter?

I have not been there in winter. I imagine it to be beautiful under a layer of snow, but not much snow usually falls in Takamatsu. You would have to be very lucky to catch it in snow. Not sure how many plants in the garden remain green. I imagine it to be best in the warmer, greener months, but also beautiful during winter.

. 2008/1/5 22:14
Thank you, i appreciate the replies Uji.

Um would anyone happen to know of _the_ outdoors hot springs to go to, to be in whilst its snowing around you?

I've always wanted to do this. The snow melts before it reaches you because of the heat from the hot springs?

... but it would have to be an outdoors onsen, and i'd have to be lucky, for it to snow whilst in there.

So where would be my best chances be?

Kamakura a flower spot? 2008/1/6 00:02
Also is Kamakura really flowery?

It seems alot of flowers are in bloom late Jan to March...
Has anyone been to the Peony Garden at Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine when they bloom there early Jan to mid Feb...

Or seen the Narcissus, plum blossoms at Zuisenji?

. 2008/1/6 02:03
Um... also another question. Sorry about the hogging.

Dazaifu Tenmangu shrine... it has over 6000 plum trees... but when about do they bloom and is it spectacular, worth seeing?

... 2008/1/6 13:53
Um would anyone happen to know of _the_ outdoors hot springs to go to, to be in whilst its snowing around you?

Lots and lots of outdoor baths in the higher elevations of Nagano, Gunma, Niigata, Tochigi and in the Tohoku region are surrounded by snow. One of the most popular one is Tsurunoyu in Nyuto Onsen:
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/db/akita/tsurunoyuonsen.h...

Dazaifu Tenmangu shrine... it has over 6000 plum trees... but when about do they bloom and is it spectacular, worth seeing?

I have not been there during plum blossom season, but the website states that the best time is usually late February to mid March:
http://www.dazaifutenmangu.or.jp/ume/index.htm

Again thank you so much Uji 2008/1/13 20:05
Also, i was wondering wondering if the hiking trail from Kurama to Kibune would be ok in winter. This site says its rather steep... would it be icy or slippery in winter?

I will skip if it is but what's making me hope it isn't is that afterwards i want to eat, kawadoko style. Eating seated on platforms above the Kibune river in one of the village's ryokan. The cool part is that the noodles you order come via a bamboo chute... you stop the noodles with your chopsticks as they go by :)

... and 2008/1/13 20:11
also... the Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto and the Taikodani Inari Shrine in Tsuwano are similar?

I February... which one would be better conditioned to hike through? the Fushimi Inari Shrine takes 2hrs... how long does the Taikodani Inari Shrine take? And since both are on wooded mountains... which mountain is easier to access and less likely to be difficult and dangerous to hike through?

Thank you so much for any answers

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 31

1 2
next

reply to this thread