Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to write tsu & shi in katakana 2007/12/5 18:54
the letters "shi" and "tsu" look very similar in Katakana. How do see and or write the difference ? (also for "n" and "so")
by ingrid  

dont break you head. 2007/12/5 20:19
Well. If they submit how faces... The first face "shi" is smile. And the second face "tsu"is laugh. Also in a writing. With "tsu" near stroke longer than that of "shi" and bays up. Difference same us the "smile" and "laugh". Can not be seen only from far. Trust me, after one year you can differentiate this simbols, as white and black. So, dot break you head...
by MadKyoDeer rate this post as useful

tsu and shi 2007/12/5 21:28
a Japanese guy taught me this, and it made sense so I can always remember:
you know how shi is written in hiragana, right? down & then up, kind of like a 'U' shape? Replace the 'down' stroke with two dots, and then up...that's your katakana shi. The two dots would cross the down stroke, not be parallel to it.
For the 'tsu', it's the same...the hiragana 'tsu' goes from left to right, and then curves under & around like a sideways 'U', right? The two dots cross the first half - the left-to-right line, and then the curved line takes over & goes down from there.
This all makes more sense when you try writing both, and it makes more sense if you are already familiar with hiragana. I learned hiragana first so this worked for me.
'n' and 'so' are similar but it doesn't fit quite as well...if you know hiragana, try replacing a bit of the hiragana with the dot, and follow through with part of what's left...see, not quite as easy.
Anyway. Worked for me.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

thanks 2007/12/5 23:54
thank you all.
by ingrid rate this post as useful

reply to this thread