Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chinatown change when? 2007/12/7 06:02
I was stationed in the Navy in Yokohama in 1969 & 1970. During my time there the Chinatown section had a large assortment of bars and clubs geared towards attracting the American service members and to a smaller extent, the merchant ship sailors. It appears that shortly after I left Chinatown was transformed into a much more traditional ethnic area and most of the bars and clubs either closed or changed. I am curious what drove the changes? Was it the closing of some of the local bases or some other reasons why the area changed. I have seen other accounts from Americans who have gone back saying how much it has changed. I was just curious on this issue.
by John  

... 2007/12/7 09:29
I'm not really sure, but Japan itself transformed dramatically during the very early 70s the so-called "keizai koudo-seichou-ki (high-growth period of the economy)". It was around that era that the catch phrase "sengo wa owatta (Postwar has ended.)".

So the locals started to become less poor, WW2 people started to go home, and naturally, the retailors started aiming for local buyers (in China Town it included Chinese residents) rather than foreign visitors. As for U.S. bases, I suppose the surroundings of Yokota Air base in western Tokyo and Yokosuka Navy base was more "exciting" with the Vietnamese War going on.

However, the China Town area and moreover the Honmoku area had always been popular for its 50s-ish American style atmosphere. Up to the mid 80s, there was the more 50s-ish genuine American military mood, and the Honmoku Jazz Festival is still held annually.

Note that even today, there are small bars here and there with the "sailor or American" feeling that local tourists expect in Yokohama.
by Uco rate this post as useful

P.S. 2007/12/7 09:49
By the way, we have to keep in mind that China Town in Yokohama didn't exactly start changing in the 70s. It had been constantly trasforming itself ever since it was established some 140 years ago.

When I was little, our family and relatives would often travel from Tokyo to dine there. Now I live in the same city. Both you and I have been a small part of its great history.

If you're interested, this is Yokohama China Town's official website.
http://www.chinatown.or.jp/index.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

thank you for your answer 2007/12/8 05:13
Uco. Thanks for your prompt and intelligent reply. I still miss my days in Japan and Yokohama and would love to visit sometime in the near future.

by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread