Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice on living plans 2007/12/8 20:01
I am a person interested in Japan as a place to, in a manner of speaking, learn my motivation. I have multiple interests, but none seem to scream "passion" to me. I was looking at Japan's more disciplined culture (in some areas) as a way to organize myself. I have a very indecisive attitude, not due to nervousness, but to an almost complacent view. ... Although if it is for someone else, I will do anything. I was thinking of a more Northern location such as Nikko (I need my mountains.... and don't like hot weather much) ... I have qualms with it though as it is a tourist attraction. (not a tourist)

I have yet to learn Japanese as it's spoken, nor have I yet studied kanji, but will soon. I know the best way to learn a language is to have to use it.

Since this plan is for myself, I plan to go by myself.. I'm planning an extended stay... but how should I provide for it? Work for board? work Visa? Student Visa?.... I have completed only one semester of college, and that limits my prospects, a paradox really.

this will happen whenever I earn enough to go basically, so ironing out such details would be important.

Also as a special bonus favor,(limited time only) would someone kindly provide both the Kanji, and phonetic speech of the translation of "manly" or "exudes masculine nature" for me.... that way I can accurately translate even my name from it's Greek origins.

Arigato

(one of four words in vocabulary.. the first three are ichi ni san ;P)
by Andrew  

living plans 2007/12/10 13:17

The Japanese culture isn't any more disciplined per say than, for example, European cultures. What makes people disciplined and motivated is the teachings they got from
their parents and school teachers.
you aren't going to absorb these "qualities" by osmosis by going to Japan. Are you aware that many young Japanese men stay home for years as they can get motivated to face the outside world? so obviously there isn't anything special in the Japanese air that makes people behave in a disciplined fashion. Having a demanding job that requires one to follow a strict schedule, to study etc.is the best motivator, especially if one doesn't have friends and relatives one can sponge off if something goes wrong. But you can do that in your own country!. Japan isn't going to cure what ails you at home. Japan is a great country but not the cure all be all.
if you want to know all about visas etc. a Japanese embassy is the best place to go to.
the internet also has lots of resources to learn Kanji etc.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

visas etc. 2007/12/10 13:30
First you really need to look at what visa you are going to come to Japan on. Without a full degree, (or 3-10 years experience in the field you plan to work in) you aren't eligible for a working visa. If you are from the UK, Australia, Canada or New Zealand and are under 30 you are eligible for a working holiday visa which lets you stay a year (or 18 months for Australians).

Otherwise if you can pay for full time study (this would obviously have an influence on location) there is the student visa or the cultural visa.

Check the Japanese Government website www.mofa.go.jp for info on visa types and eligibility.

Nikko is a tourist attraction for a reason- it is a beautiful place, and I would love to live there. However job and study options are very limited to non-existent there for foreigners, so if you make it to Japan you might be restricted to just visiting.

In any case you main hurdles will be what kind of visa you can get and how you will support yourself in Japan. Good luck!

by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread