Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transportation 2007/12/10 23:01
Hi All
We are moving out from Narita airport via limo bus to Keio Plaza Hotel, intend to try the NEX for return route. Will cover Ginza, Tsuki Fish Mkt, Shibuya and Imperial Garden over 3 days, should I get any transport pass or just pay for point-to-point travel?
by Vivien  

Subway 2007/12/11 01:42
Vivien

You need no special pass while in Tokyo. Tokyo has various subway and railroad lines that are owned by various companies. You can pay as you go and use the nearest or most suitable lines.

You could purchase one day or prepaid card. Take a look at the information provided here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

Tenshi
by tenshinyc rate this post as useful

Transportation 2007/12/11 02:20
Thank you
Tenshi. I was really confused when I read up on the subject. There is the Passnetcard, SuicaiO card...etc. Could not quite understand them all.
by Vivien rate this post as useful

around Tokyo 2007/12/11 04:25
Vivien
there are basically 3 types of fare paying systems:
1-cash (worth if you don't use transportation too often in a day)
2-daily passes (called special tickets in the site you looked at)
all these daily passes are good for one day only. the most expensive ones, for both JR trains and JR subways and subways from other companies, aren't really worth it.
Myself I usually use JR Yamanote loop line most of the time as this circular line goes around most of Tokyo's main areas. if I go to the fish market, Asakusa and/ or Odaiba, for example, I buy tickets just for these trips (meaning that I use the Yamanote loop line from X area to Z area then take the subway at Z to go the market or at Y to take the special line to Odaiba)
3-Suica and other smartcards. Suica can be used any day on all the transportation in Tokyo. It isn't a discount pass, like those in #2 so, as a tourist on a short stay, you don't get a discount. however, like with any pass, you don't have to fumble with coins, etc. Every time you swipe Suica in /out it automatically deduct the price of the trip you are taking at that time. You can also add more money in Suica etc. if needed. the minimum amount you get with that card is yen 2000. you can use Y 1500 and 500 is kept as sort of deposit and reimbursed when you leave.
Suica and other prepaid cards may be a little too complicated for 3 days so this leave cash as the easiest option (paying for each trip) or a combination of a JR daily pass to use on the Yamanote and cash for a few other places.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

suggestions 2007/12/11 04:50
Vivien,
you will cover Ginza, Tsukiji Fish Mkt, Shibuya and Imperial Garden over 3 days,

it doesn't take that long to visit these areas. first you will get to the fish marker very early and by 8 am at the latest you can have a snack there or in the neighbourhood.
you are close to the Ginza shoppping area but unfortunately the stores open at 10 am or so. you can take the subway to as close as possible to the imperial gardens but will have to walk (have you made special arrangements ? if you are talking of the gardens outside the Palace itself, there are more beautiful parks and gardens elsewhere). then it is back to Ginza to see the shopping area. in the early afternoon you can check Shibuya. personally I don't like Shibuya and would never get up at 5 am or so to go to a fish market but... that' your choice. other places to visit on days 2 and 3:
Shinjuku east and west, Harajuku (Omotesando has fabulous stores and you must see the Meiji shrine),
Ueno park (for the museums)
Asakusa (for a peek at old Tokyo. you can take a boat ride from there to Odaiba, another interesting area).
even all that wouldn't take 3 days, unless you insist in going to every floor in each department store, but like those in other countries, most big stores all have similar goods and each major area has branches of the same stores.

by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

3 days 2007/12/11 15:38
as you are here for just 3 days i would buy all-day subway tickets.

the ticket is 1000 yen (each day) from the ticket machine at the station.

the ticket is valid on all the subway lines within tokyo.

each time you put it in the ticket gate it will pop out the other side - don't forget to pick it up!
by joseph rate this post as useful

reply to this thread