Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Careers in Japanese 2007/12/12 16:02
Hi, I'm a 19 year old University student living in Australia. I'm currently studying Japanese and Economics (specifically Management and Marketing at the moment). I am in this degree because I finished high school and decided that I loved Japanese and that I would love to follow a career path that uses the language or allows me to work in Japan. As i enter my second (of 5) year, the problem I face now is what career.

I already know I want to do the JET programme for a year or two after graduation and I'm thinking of doing a year exchange before my course finishes. I have slightly looked into Translation/Interpereting as a possiblility but heard it can be a difficult career to get into and work can be sparse. To be honest, this is the only career that I can think of off the top of my head that will allow me the oppotunities I desire. There is also English teaching but I fear my lack of english study in my course will affect my chances (I can, however, do a teaching diploma as a post-graduate).

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some careers that would allow me to use my Japanese or live/travel to Japan. Obviously I am not about to decide my future career now but I wouldn't mind some direction to aim my research.

Thank you.
by Dave  

wait and see 2007/12/12 17:06
You don't have to think too much about your future career now. You will make a lot of friends when you study at a university in Japan. Some of those students are finding jobs in Japan after their courses, so you may get a good information from them.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

I had thought about it... 2007/12/12 18:24
I'm a 3rd year Economics/Japanese dual major university student in America. Well, I would really have to share with you that other than teaching English, jobs in Japan are pretty sparse.

Teaching English also isn't considered a "good job" in Japan at all. Unfortunately, translating jobs are too quickly gobbled up by the most fluent and experienced people on the block.

I tell you what, get a 6 figure salary in Australia with your awesome Economics degree, and take great vacations to Japan instead. You'll be able to enjoy it so much more with your language skill, too! Also, if you get a travelling job in Australia, you might get sent back and forth to Japan as their liason. Sounds cool, right? Anyways, best of luck when making your decision, but I would recommend not to "waste" your degree in Economics doing something completely unrelated. It's not a pretty lifestyle, but you do get to live in Japan. Not sure if it's worth it, though.
by Blake N rate this post as useful

Wait and see 2007/12/12 18:50
I know I don't have to make my mind up now, but it is good to have some direction, i feel. Especially because my course has some specific rules about subjects so if i need prerequisite subjects, i need to work them out now. My whole course needs to be planned quite soon. Sucks but it's just how they structure it.
by Dave rate this post as useful

Wait and see 2007/12/12 19:52
Dave,

Sounds good. Well, even if your heart is set on going to Japan, I would recommend majoring in something that you could enjoy back home, too, just in case. (you never know)

With an English language degree, jobs might be harder to come by in Australia, as opposed to another degree. Also, you don't necessarily need an English degree to teach English in Japan, just a bachelors' in most cases.

Finally, I would learn Japanese as much as possible in your home country (IN UNIVERSITY) before going to Japan. There are so many home-taught kids in Japan that don't learn the proper grammar...they think that what they hear in anime cartoons is how they should speak and react to people. Word of advise: don't be one of these guys, especially if you want to be seen as employable at home or abroad.

Again, best of luck!
by Blake N rate this post as useful

reply to this thread