Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo – Kyoto - ? 2007/12/13 01:19
Hi,

Ifll be making my second trip to Japan in mid May (12 days) and Ifll be returning to both Tokyo and Kyoto. Despite spending 3 or 4 days in each of those cities before, I still have much to see in them. Plus my cousin who is travelling with me has never been to Japan before.

In between those cities I last time spent 2 nights in the Hakone area in a Ryokan. So Ifd like to find another place to visit this time in place of Hakone. The thing is Ifm struggling to choose somewhere. Ifd like to visit a town or city (for about 2 nights) that is not too difficult to reach but that is not a regular stop for westerners. It doesnft need any significant cultural appeal, just somewhere that offers a more enormalf view of a Japanese town or city. Oh, and some good bars is always a good feature.

Ifve considered a few: Nagoya: too big? Kobe: too many expats? Any town on Shikoku: too quiet and remote?

I really am struggling so Ifd love some suggestions – thanks.
by Phil  

Got up into the Mountains 2007/12/13 09:27
Change trains at Nagoya, and head up to Takayama, or one of the other towns inland. Mountains, a break from the busy-ness of Tokyo. A very nice train trip.
by emjoi rate this post as useful

Okayama International Villa 2007/12/13 09:58
If by "normal" you mean more rural, I highly recommend the Okayama International Villa group.

http://www.harenet.ne.jp/villa/

They were especially designed for foreign visitors to experience a traditional Japanese lifestyle.

I've personally stayed in Hattoji villa and it was fabulous.
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

a town 2007/12/13 13:05

I have been to Japan 8 times so far since the mid 1990s. last time was in October 07. Most of the time I visit the Kansai for a least a few days and I have never seen many foreigners in Kobe and Osaka. yes they are there but not in such numbers that they would be terribly obvious.
I think in fact that they would be more obvious in a small town!. Big towns are as much the real Japan as small ones and even in Tokyo there are neighbourhoods that are old fashioned in a nice way. obviously I am not going to tell you where they are.. you have to read guidebooks carefully,look at maps and make a guess..
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Many options 2007/12/13 17:25
I think I was able to travel from Osaka, through Kyushu, to the southernmost island of Iriomote in a 2.5 week time period. If you plan right, you have many options.

If you have already seen Tokyo and Kyoto, why not focus on a different part of Japan? Japan becomes friendlier, and more upbeat the more west (or south) you travel (and foreigners are rare). If you don't have to travel to Tokyo, try flying into the Kansai airport in Osaka or the new International airport in Nagoya--both of which are much more convenient than Narita.

Takayama is nice area, but there is also the Kiso Valley near Nagoya, which is also near Ise. Or you can explore the scenic coastline and fishing towns from Nagoya to Wakayama. Takamatsu is an old town just across the inland sea from Kobe on Shikoku. Shikoku is definitely a worthy destination, but the train lines are limited. There is lots to see in Kyushu, including plenty of castles, old towns, and active volcanoes. And there is always the backside of Japan (along the Sea of Japan), where few foreigners go, where you will find more traditional cities that weren't bombed during the war.

Unfortunately, many visitors don't see much beyond Tokyo (and even though I'm resident of Tokyo, it is actually my least favorite place). There is a surprising amount to see almost anywhere in Japan.
by zoogy rate this post as useful

Castle towns. 2007/12/14 02:57
Considering the fact that present Japanese major cities have developed as Castle towns, what about visiting a off-the-beaten castle town?

Hamamatsu
http://www.jnto.go.jp/MI/eng/incentive/hamamatsu/index.html

Gifu
http://www.jnto.go.jp/MI/eng/incentive/gifu/index.html
by Jtraveller rate this post as useful

Tokyo - Kyoto 2007/12/14 05:20
I would like to second the suggestion to stay at one of the Okayama Internation Villas. I have stayed at both Koshihata and Ushimado and they were both great experiences.
Also there is Nikko north of Tokyo. I do not remember seeing that many westerners there and it's fairly easy to get to. The Japan Inn Group has a nice ryokan there.
by Steve rate this post as useful

reply to this thread