Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help get me into school 2007/12/13 14:49
Hello! I'm looking for a loophole in the Japanese Education system that will allow a person 19 years of age to attend grade 12. What happens if a person starts schooling late and is 19 when he is to go into grade 12? do they deny him? There must be a way! PLEASE any help would be greatful!
by Devin  

more info needed 2007/12/13 17:00
Have you already aproached individual achools? Do you live in Japan? Is it a Japanese public school you are wanting to go to or an international school? Do you speak Japanese? Why do you want to go to high school when you are old enough to attend university? You need to provide a bit more information for people to help you with that one.
by Sira rate this post as useful

More info. 2007/12/13 17:28
I got accepted into a student exchange program with ASSE International.But, I will become 19, 29 days before the next school year starts in Japan which got me "unaccepted" from the program. I adressed the issue with them before applying and this "unacceptance" happened a year later when I already had my life planned and had already missed numerous oppertunities for scholarships etc.. The exchange was to put me into a regular Japanese Senior high school, and settle me in with a host family. So two things would need to be rectified for me to go.
1)Not being able to enroll at 19

2)School tuition fees would have to be paid.

There are organizations to pay school fees but they are only good to the native residents of japan. I'm currently living in Canada waiting for the trip. But as you might amagine I'm a bit distraught over the whole thing. I'd be gratefull for any help at all! I'm only 29 days away from a dream come true!!! Thanks!

~Dev
by Devin rate this post as useful

WHV? 2007/12/13 22:25
Devin,

Sorry I can't offer any help on your immediate problem, but I can't help wondering why, at the age of 19, you are so keen to spend time in a Japanese high school. What would you gain from it - apart from the nickname "Ossan"? If you are Canadian, why not instead start looking at the Working Holiday Visa programme?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

being 19 2007/12/14 02:48
Being 19 at the last year of Japanese senior high is not really a big problem in a lot of schools in Japan. But unfortunately, I'm talking about residents, and I have no idea how programmes work between Canada.

The only advise I can give you is to keep negotiating with all the authorities you can think of (Organizer? City Hall? Embassy?), and while you're at it, you can tell them that it's okay for a lot of local residents to be 19 at "year 3".

Again, I know nothing about the Canadian system, but if you've made all your applications, you must have written your birth date along the way, and it wouldn't be fair for them to turn you down all of a sudden.

But if that doesn't work, you know that life ahead of you is still full of options. You've got to switch your mind. Just curious though. Are you saying that they let you in if you're 18 at April, but will not if you're 19? Odd, knowing that local students are mostly 17 at April.
by Uco rate this post as useful

hmm 2007/12/14 04:43
Yeah they'll let me in if I'm 18 in April when the school year starts, but not 19.
I mostly want to go to the school for the experience. It would really help me with my japanese as well as be a great place to make new friends while I'm there. That, and it's also the only way to get onto this exchange trip which is a 10 month thing, and you live with a family. Actually living with a family and going to school would be an amazing way to see the culture and daily life etc.

I'll do my best to speak with who I can and see what i can come up with. Thanks for the help! ^^
by Devin rate this post as useful

One more option to consider 2007/12/14 07:42
Devin,

Most colleges, even community colleges (at least here in the USA) have exchange programs where you can live with a host family, make friends, etc. The problem with going to a Japanese senior high school would be that Japanese seniors are super stressed out from studying for Japanese university entrance exams, which are among the toughest on the planet. They really won't have time to all of a sudden make a new foreign friend easily. (no offense!)
by Blake N rate this post as useful

colleges / universities 2007/12/14 08:10
In addition to what Blake said above, Japanese universities and colleges, by contrast, are places for students to relax and unwind after their grueling final year of senior high school. They're fun and sociable places to be. You'd have a much better time there instead.
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

go for university, or a working holiday 2007/12/14 09:33
I agree- attending a year of Japanese university would be much more relaxed and fun- as well as improve your Japanese you'd be able to see more of Japan with all the free time students have, go to parties, join all the club activities etc. That kind of thing mostly goes by the way side as the high school students prepare for entrance exams.

That and the fact that you would be 20, or close to it by the time you finish- it's just too old to be in high school and wearing a school uniform, no matter where in the world.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread