Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kagoshima 2007/12/13 19:24
i will go to kagoshima for sightseeing. can anyone give me some tips? i am familiar with japanese life but not kagoshima.
by maria  

kagoshima 2007/12/14 09:24
I recently visited Kagoshima,but did not spend much time in the city,so not much I can comment on the city.However, I'd like to recommend Ibuzuki sandbath if you have extra time,or Furusato onsen ( free shuttle in the ferry terminal)in sakurajima.
by liem rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/15 14:05
by Uji rate this post as useful

CIty or the entire prefecture? 2007/12/16 11:21
You have Kirishima NP in the North to some great islands in the south, all part of Kagoshima Prefecture.

If you're just referring to the city, Sakurajima and Satsuma Rebellion sites are the most famous. Sakurajima is the most active volcano in Japan although it's quieted down quite a bit since the eruption of Unzen in 1991-95. Although it's called "Cherry Island," it became part of the rest of Kyushu in 1914 when a large lava flow connected it on the East side and buried some villages and a shrine torii in Kurokami.

Tsurumaru Castle on Shiroyama, was where the army of Saigo Takamori was located before the final battle of the rebellion in 1877. The Nanshu Cavern, in Isu Park is where Saigo spent his last night. The Nanshu Cemetery is where the last samurai are buried.

Just north of town is a small park where Francis Xavier first came to Japan in 1547.

North again, up near the airport, is an interesting pottery that makes Samehada glazed ware (shark skin). At Kirishima, still further north, is the national park with volcanoes and crater lakes and a major shrine above a tourist town.

In Kokubu City, just to its SE is Jomon-no-mori, a recently discovered jomon period site that has an excellent museum on everything that they've found.

About 20 km west of town is a pottery village filled with kilns, all known as Satsuma-yaki. The Japanese style is much better than that which is known in the US by the same name.

SW is Chiran, a town known for its Shinpuu/kamikaze museum. The main street would be used for a runway and then filled with traffic after the planes took off. It also has some old Edo period residences.

At the south part you have the hot springs resort of Ibusuki and a small conic volcano of Kaimon-dake at the tip of the peninsula. Ferries and flights from Kagoshima go south to the islands, such as Tanegashima with the Japan Space Center and Yakushima with its big Yakusugi (cedar) trees.

In town, if you turn right as you exit west (go down the escalators) the Chuo Station, there's a small street that has a couple of cheap business hotels (Y3600/single) and some inexpensive restaurants.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

reply to this thread