Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Half Japanese and confused about koseki 2007/12/15 08:04
My Mother's Japanese and my Father's English. I've lived in England my whole life but went to Japan every year when I was a child. In February I went back to Japan and chose Japanese Nationality while I was there, just before my 22nd birthday (the deadline). So now I have a Japanese Koseki form, am fully Japanese and while I plan on moving there in the future I have been back in England for 7 months and will be staying here for at least the next few months, possible years. The reason I chose Japanese Koseki is because if I hadn't I would not be able to live there in the future without a visa because I would not be seen as japanese.

So my question is this... do I need to get a Japanese passport? Or when I go to Japan can I just use my english passport and show them my Japanese koseki form?

Also, if I do need a passport are there any websites I can look at to go about getting one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
by Michiko  

... 2007/12/15 13:00
Now that you have chosen Japanese citizenship, you will have to renounce your British citizenship, otherwise, you can get into troubles with the Japanese law, which forbids dual citizenship. If you intend to keep double citizenship despite it being illegal in Japan, you will have either pretend to be fully Japanese or fully British whenever entering and leaving Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Japanese passport 2007/12/15 13:06
Yes, you will need to get a Japanese passport in order to avoid any legal troubles.

Use only your Japanese passport whenever you enter or leave Japan.
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

where? 2007/12/15 13:10
Also, if I do need a passport are there any websites I can look at to go about getting one?

My wife and I recently applied for a Japanese passport for our daughter. We contacted our nearby Japanese consulate and they gave us the information. I suggest that you do the same. Also check the Embassy of Japan web site in your home country.
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

Again dual 2007/12/15 15:03
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Michiko san:

Have you check if England alouds you to have dual citizenship? Also check the same query in many other threads in this forum, you will find something related to your case.

As I said in another thread about the same topic, some weeks ago: I'm not the author of the following info, I just made a compilation from this forum. But maybe it will help others you know?

"........ First of all, note that the age you must choose your nationality is 22. This is according to Article 14 where it says,

"A Japanese national having a foreign nationality shall choose either of the nationalities before he or she reaches twenty two years of age if he or she has acquired both nationalities on and before the day when he or she reaches twenty years of age or, within two years after the day when he or she acquired the second nationality if he or she acquired such nationality after the day when he or she reached twenty years of age." However, the law doesn't actually tell you to surrender your other nationality. It just says you have to keep trying. Please refer to Article 16 for details where it says, "A Japanese national who has made the declaration of choice shall endeavour to deprive himself or herself of the foreign nationality."
So bottom line, you won't get "caught" even if they find out you have dual nationality after 22 years of age. Just tell them, "I'm trying" and you'll be okay.
If the worst thing happens, remember any government cannot impound a travel document that belongs to another country. They can only "advise" you to do certain thing after entry.

No authority will punish you even if you continue to hold dual nationality of Japanese/ ... another Citizenship. Say you declare japanese nationality, and tell Japan you renounce your US, British, Brazilian or anyone.

Japanese government would like you to choose but they cannot compel you to do so simply because the US government/and other ones likewise, will not recognize their intention to force you to relinquish another citizenship. Basically, you are free to be a US citizen for as long as you choose to be one. Most countries do not accept renounciation done made to foreign governments. It is a loophole that Alberto Fujimori used. Now, anyone can use it. They can't revoke your Japanese citizenship, as long as you got you Nihon passport. If you are in the States, or in any country, just go an renew your passport at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate. As said before, go with the parent that is a japanese national.........."

Michiko san, hope this info will help you a bit.

by Nice mom rate this post as useful

A little more 2007/12/15 15:11
Michiko san:

I forgot to add that my 3 kids have dual nationality, 2 born in Japan and 1 overseas. No problem at all with any government. My kids oly wanted the japanese citizenship, but my home country didn't accept to resign it. So they have two passports. END.

But as chan_konabe said, better check with the embassy in your home country.

Good luck!
by Nice mom rate this post as useful

must have Japanese passport 2007/12/15 16:51
The UK does permit dual nationality, I have a lot of friends with dual NZ/ UK nationality.

As Nice Mom said, although theoretically Japan insists that you renounce your other citizenship, they do not check up on this and many countries do not in any case recognise renunciation of citizenship.

I also have NZ friends in their mid 20s and older who have retained both nationalities but don't let the Japanese authorities know that they have in fact kept their other nationality.

This obviously means that you use a Japanese passport to come into Japan and never let any Japanese authorities see a British passport.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread