Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mount Takao / Mitake 2007/12/18 18:33
I am wondering how long it would take to complete a round trip (preferably half day if that) to Mount Takao and Mount Mitake respectively, from central Tokyo, using the cable car to skip half the mountain. Also allowing for at the very least a decent amount of time to hike the remainder and enjoy the views.

Also, what is the scenery like during winter?
by Sal  

day trip 2007/12/19 11:06
I haven't been to both Takao and Mitake in the same day but I am thinking that sounds like a very long day.

The visibility is very good in winter but almost all the trees will have lost their leaves so brown and grey would be predominant colours I'm afraid. The shrines are worth seeing though.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/19 13:03
I had been to both places in different occassions. Mt. Takao is comparatively a better place to visit in a half day tour. It is closer to Tokyo with better facilities. Besides, the train fare is cheaper.
by TW rate this post as useful

I was... 2007/12/19 16:12
I was not thinking of doing both in the same day, but rather asking about each respectively. Are they still worth going out of my way if the foliage is mostly dead during the winter months? Most likely February.
by Sal rate this post as useful

To be honest, 2007/12/20 06:31
Mt Takao is not recommendable very much for a tourist the way loooong from overseas.

The reason it is well-known is it's virturely the only mountain accessbile from central Tokyo as a day trip, not because its nature is excellent or precious.

There are 31 National Parks in Japan. Mt Takao is one of the QUASI National Parks in Japan, it's not more significant than 31 National Parks.
by Jtraveller rate this post as useful

reply to this thread