Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Total deductions from salary? 2007/12/19 08:07
Hi everyone.

I've been trying to figure out exactly what the mandatory deductions are from salary if I'm working in Tokyo, so I can make sure that my relocation package from London compensates me reasonably.

I am aware of national income tax (I'll be in the 40% band), prefectural and municipal tax (10% between them), but there are others - right? I'm talking about the kind of tax/social security deduction that will come out of your salary at source.

I believe there are mandatory social and unemployment insurances to pay, as well as some kind of national health insurance charge, but it's proving to be quite difficult to find out how much these are.

I will have independent health insurance, so I'm only interested in the absolute minimum, mandatory amounts.

Assume I'm making 2M yen per month. How much will I actually get credited to my bank account, and why?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nick.

by Nick W  

... 2007/12/23 20:36
I am aware of national income tax (I'll be in the 40% band)

40% is applied only to the taxable income of over 18 million yen. The first 18 million are taxed at 24.5%.

I'm talking about the kind of tax/social security deduction that will come out of your salary at source.

The two main things are health insurance and pension:

Health insurance is currently about 8% of the salary (including bonuses) with a maximum of approx. 100,000 yen per month. It ispaid half by the employer. The other half is withheld from your salary.

Pension is currently about 15% of the salary (including bonuses) with a maximum of around 100,000 yen per month. Again, the company pays half, while the other half is withdrawn from the salary.

Assume I'm making 2M yen per month. How much will I actually get credited to my bank account, and why?

I estimate that you will get about 1.3M onto your bank account as explained: about 25% national income taxes and the maximum amounts for health insurance and pension. Note that prefectural and municipal taxes have to be paid separately. They are not withdrawn from the salary.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Mistake 2007/12/23 20:40
I mistook your salary with taxable income. Of course, there are a few deductions you will be able to make from your total income, depending on family situation and other factors. Still, I estimate you will be left with roughly about 2/3 of your salary.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread