Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

10-Day Kanto-Kansai New Year Itinerary 2007/12/20 21:14
Hi all.

I am heading to Japan this holiday season from 12/26-1/4 with my aunt. This will be my first time in Japan and since my aunt and I are both poor college students, we're more than willing to rough it out [both females btw]. Can you tell me if my itinerary seems doable?

12/26 [D1] - Arrive in Tokyo @ 5:30PM
- Shibuya
- Shinjuku [I want to see how shady Kabukicho is]
- Catch Moonlight Nagara to Kyoto
TRANSPORTATION: Seishun 18
QUESTION: I have no way of reserving the ticket until I get there. Would I have a chance of getting on the train?

...Assuming all goes well

12/27 - Arrive in Kyoto
- Kinkakuji, Daitokuji - temples
- Imperial Palace
- Nishiki Market
- Pontocho
- Kiyomizudera [if time allows]
- Stay @ Tani House
TRANSPORTATION: Surutto Kansai 2-Day Pass

12/28 - Early train to Osaka
- Minami
- Umeda Sky Building - cool lookin building
- Sega Joypolis
I plan to eat myself to ruins in the marketplace at Osaka.
Train back to Ogaki, catch 11:19PM trip on Moonlight Nagara

12/29 - Arrive in Yokohama
- Yokohama Chinatown - food museum...
- Sankeien Garden - Japanese garden [$5 entrance fee]
- Cosmoworld - a theme park next to a famous harbourside district Minato Mirai 21
Need a place to stay overnight, suggestions?
TRANSPO: Using Seishun 18 again

12/30 Arrive in Kusatsu Onsen
- Check in to guesthouse [Probably staying @ Iijiman]
- Go everywhere, esp. the onsen
TRANSPO: Using Seishun 18 to Naganosomething, then buses I guess. It can't be helped.

12/31 Arrive in Tokyo
- Check in to hostel
- Tokyo Tower, Metro Govt. building [twin observation towers] or Zojoji Temple Countdown @ night [I know it'll be packed, but... I like bustling environments]

1/1
- Visit Meiji Temple [again, probably packed...]
- Free... cuz places are closed

1/2
- Tokyo Imperial Palace - to see the emperor!
- Free... cuz places are closed

1/3
OPEN, suggestions please albeit many places are still closed
[Options: Ueno Park - Tokyo Natl. Museum]

1/4
- Return to LA

For 1/2-1/3, I was planning to buy a 2-Day Tokyo Metro pass [980 yen], but seeing as though so many places will be closed, should I just scratch that idea?

If you guys know what I can do during this time when almost everything is closed, please help~! Any other comments or suggestions will be very very appreciated.
by hikki lurver  

... 2007/12/21 17:12
hikkiluver,
I don't want to shock you but as I checked the vacancy of Nagara, both Dec 26 (from Tokyo to Toyohashi onward)and 28 (from Ogaki to Yokohama) have already been booked out. There's a chance to get a seat which someone release before the departure but please prepare yourself for what you'll do if you cannot get a seat.

You are traveling Japan during the most busiet period.
by JLady rate this post as useful

Transportation 2007/12/21 17:25
What do you suggest I do for transportation then? Should I still buy the Seishun 18 because I wanted it mainly for the Nagara.
by hikki lurver rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/21 18:04
One option would be to buy the 7-day Japan Rail Pass, because you will be making the Tokyo - Kyoto roundtrip within a 7-day period, it pays off (the pass is about the same price as a roundtrip Shinkansen tickets). You will have to buy it OUTSIDE Japan, though.

If you cannot ride the overnight train, it might be better to plan to stay overnight in Tokyo the first night upon arrival, though. If your flight arrives at Narita at 5:30, at earliest, you'll be in central Tokyo by 7:30 or so. (By the way, Japan Rail Pass can be used for the Narita Express from Narita to Tokyo, and on local Yamanote line from Tokyo to Shinjuku/Shibuya, etc.)
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/21 19:15
Or book night bus now for long-leg trips (Tokyo-Kyoto, Osaka-Yokohama) There're some seats available on 26th and 28th.
http://www.123bus.net/
Using Seishun18 while in Tokyo is not really a good idea. Buying tickets seperately will do for you.

Japan 2007/12/22 04:52
a couple of things:
HARAJUKU is way more interesting than Shibuya. this is where you have very fancy buildings housing world famous designers, as in Ginza, but also stores with wild fashions for young people (not found in Ginza).
check the Asakusa temple rather than going back to the Meiji shrine.
don't bother with the imperial palace in Kyoto. besides the fact that you need an advance reservation, you can't see the the rooms used by the imperial family (unlike in England)beter t ogo and see Nijo palace and definitely go to Kiomizu dera
Minami in Osaka is better seen in the evening (5 pm.on).
On your way to the Umeda sky building (take the North exit of JR Osaka station) you will see Yodobashi cameras. go have a look at the Japanese fridges, washing machines etc.
also try to find the Hankyu sanbangai mall (also on North side of JR Osaka. it is between the entrance of the Hankyu hotel and the airport limousine waiting room, just across the street from Yodobashi cameras (on east side). on the 2nd lower floor there are about 100 cafes and restaurants.. behind the Hankyu department store is HEP five with a big red Ferris wheel on the roof.
personaly I hate travelling by night trains(I had to d oit many times in my youth, like going from west Germany to Southern France..) as I can't sleep in a train-not a safe thing to do- better travel by Shinkansen and look for cheap hotels--they may have vacancies where hostels don't.
a Jr pass will also allow you to travel from Kyoto to Osaka and around Osaka and Tokyo by using their respective loop lines. I never reserve hotels in advance in Japan and Europe because I like to be flexible and know that there are lots of them near railways stations.they are mainly used by natives and often not on the web. Mind you I think that anyone travelling at the end of December is crazy..way too many people on the go.. HAVE FUN..
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Thanks Red Frog! 2007/12/22 05:06
Thanks a lot for all the advice. Will definitely follow. I just bought a JR Rail Pass and will use the Ginga Night train [will sleep in the seats] to travel to Kyoto and back. I am a very heavy sleeper [nothing can wake me when I've set my mind on sleeping] so I don't mind the conditions at all.

Thanks again Red Frog. You were really helpful~!

Does anyone else have different suggestions for what to do during New Years'?
by hikki_lurver rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/22 09:31
Ginga is a night train equipped with couchettes ONLY and you need to pay extra for couchettes if you haven't noticed.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2356.html

reply to this thread