Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido - Autumn (Sep 5) 2007/12/21 11:56
Hi there,

Planning a trip in 5 Sep 08. Please help to answer Q below and see it is doable. Any comments are welcome.

Day 1 - Tokyo to Hakodate (Activate 7 days JR pass )
Day 2 - Hakodate to Sapporo (enroute Sobetsu for fruits picking)
Day 3 - Sapporo to Rebun
Day 4 - Rebun (8 hrs hiking)
Day 5 - Rebun - Wakkannai
Day 6 - Wakkannai to Asahikawa
Day 7 - Asahikawa to Abashiri (enroute to Sounkyo by rental car. Will return car before proceed to Abashiri by JR pass)
Day 8 - Abashiri city area(car rental for 3 days)
Day 9 - Abashiri to Akan
Day 10- Abashiri to Shiretoko (return car)
Day 11- Abashiri to Sapporo (Activate JR pass, enroute to Kitami)
Day 12 - Sapporo area
Day 13 - Sapporo area
Day 14 - Sapporo to Hakodate
Day 15 - Hakodate to Tokyo
Day 16 - Tokyo
Day 17 - Tokyo
Day 18 - Home

Questions:
1. In rebun - Do we have to engage our own guide for the 8 hrs hike and it is possible during this time?
2. In Wakkannai City - where can I obtain the local bus time-table to Soya Cape, Wakkannai Park etc.
3. In Sounkyo - Is the path clear enough for us to proceed to the summit of Mt Kurodake during this time?
4. Day 9 & 10 - will it be too rush for this two places?How is the road condition, is it safe to drive in this two places during this time?
5. In Kitami city - where can I obtain the local bus time-table to Onneyu Hot Spring, Sun Dome kitami, Kitami Flower Paradis etc.

Thank you.
Rosa
by rosa  

... 2007/12/27 21:38
Many parts of your itinerary will be very fast paced. You will be spending hours on board of trains for several consecutive days.

May I suggest a more efficient itinerary. It could also be cheaper:

Tokyo - (air) - Hakodate - (train) - Sapporo - (air) - Rebun - (ferry) - Wakkanai - (car, via Sounkyo and Kitami) - Abashiri, Shiretoko and Akan - (car) - Memanbetsu Airport - (air) - Tokyo

In rebun - Do we have to engage our own guide for the 8 hrs hike and it is possible during this time?

I think it is still possible in early September. If you have some mountain experience, you don't need a guide.

In Wakkannai City - where can I obtain the local bus time-table to Soya Cape, Wakkannai Park etc.

You can do it online now and here:
http://www.soyabus.co.jp/

In Sounkyo - Is the path clear enough for us to proceed to the summit of Mt Kurodake during this time?

Yes.

Day 9 & 10 - will it be too rush for this two places?

One day each with a rental car is not much time, but it is possible to see some major sites if you have the flexibility of a rental car.

How is the road condition, is it safe to drive in this two places during this time?

September sees good road conditions.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Wandering.... 2007/12/28 20:14
Thank you Uji.

Will consider your suggestion but wandering how could it be cheaper with 3 flights?

Sorry, i do not know how to read the Soyabus time-table as there is no English to indicate Soya Cape or Wakkanai Park etc.
By the way, is 稚内営業所 located near Wakkanai JR station?

by rosa rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/29 17:35
Three flights can be as cheap as a 7-day Japan Rail Pass. See the following page for details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

As for the Soya Bus to Cape Soya, there are not many regular buses. There are departures from the boat terminal at 8:10, 13:45, 16:20 and 18:30.

In the opposite direction, buses depart Cape Soya at 7:04, 9:34, 15:09 and 17:34.

The one way journey takes about 45 minutes.

曽谷岬 means Cape Soya.

Oh... 2007/12/31 15:34
Dear Uji, thanks for the advice. Never thot that air would be cheaper. Will be getting the ANA Star Alliance Japan Air Passes but am not sure "period of application" that stated in the web mean?
As my travel is only in Sep 08, I intend to get my Japan Air passes in end Jun 08. Is it too late?

My plan now is as follows:

Tokyo -(ANA)- Wakkanai- (ferry)- Rebun (can't find any flight to Rebun) - (ferry) Wakkanai - (car) Sounkyo - Abashiri - Shiretoko - Akan - Kushiro (car) - Kushiro (ANA) - Tokyo ..

BUT, the problem here is the car drop off fee. Should I pay or drive back to Wakkanai. What is your advice???

If drive back(Wakkanai), may I know what is not to miss along R238 (Mombestsu/ Okoppe/ Oumu/ Easshi/ Hamatombetsu(lake Kutcharo)/Sarufustsu)

Thank you.
Have a blessed 2008.
by Rosa rate this post as useful

....Cape Soya... 2007/12/31 16:11
You can purchase the Cape Soya bus ticket (1,260 x2 return) from the bus station which is just next to the Wakkanai train station. Bus ticket(200 Yen) and the entrance ticket ( 600 Yen )to the Wakkanai Onsen which is facing the Sea of Okhotsk can also be purchased from the bus terminal.
by tju rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/1 08:35
As my travel is only in Sep 08, I intend to get my Japan Air passes in end Jun 08. Is it too late?

No. Actually reservations might not even be possible more than two months in advance.

Tokyo -(ANA)- Wakkanai- (ferry)- Rebun (can't find any flight to Rebun) - (ferry) Wakkanai - (car) Sounkyo - Abashiri - Shiretoko - Akan - Kushiro (car) - Kushiro (ANA) - Tokyo ..

That's even better, although you will miss Hakodate and Sapporo. As for flights to Rebun, there are none. Only to Rishiri (from Sapporo).

BUT, the problem here is the car drop off fee. Should I pay or drive back to Wakkanai.

Fees vary quite considerably from company to company. I think that Toyota's fees are quite reasonable. And sometimes a drop off fee is worth the time saved.

reply to this thread