Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting around in Kyoto. 2007/12/23 13:45
I have two full days in Kyoto, and I'd like to know the best way to get around.

I will be starting and ending at Kyoto Station both days. Basically, I would to be able to not use the bus too much. I don't mind walking a bit.

Day one is:

Kiyomizudera, Sanjusangendo, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Gion.

Day two is:

Heian Shrine, Ginkakuji, Nishiki Market, Pontocho.

Thank you!
by Nathan  

... 2007/12/23 19:47
Day 1 can be done entirely on foot, but it is a lot of walking:

Station - Fushimi Inari - Sanjusangendo - Kiyomizudera - Gion - Station

Day 2 requires even more walking. I recommend the following route:

Station - Nishiki Market (opens from around 9am) - Heian Shrine - Ginkakuji and then take the bus back to Pontocho before walking back to the station.

The above assumes that you really like walking, e.g. you consider a 30 minute walk is a minor effort.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2007/12/24 05:43
Visiting the Fushimi Inari shrine means walking under thousands of Torii by going along paths in the forest and going up/ down stairs on the sides of a steep hill. it takes 2-3hrs depending how far one go. I am a good walker but always go to F.I. with a JR train from Kyoto station. I would suggest to go to Fushimi Inari in the morning then have a snack at Kyoto station. after that take a bus to the Eastern side and visit the other temples by walking. I find that walking in a town, especially with crowds, takes longer and is more tiring than walking along a country trail.
I hope that you will also find the time to walk up and down the covered pedestrian streets off karasuma dori.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/24 06:17
Take advantage of JR trains, subways, and buses. They are all cheap.

You'll be wasting precious time walking. And we are talking about LOOONG walks!
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

.. 2007/12/24 07:52
Thanks for the answers.

About taking the bus...

Since I cant read Japanese, would it work if I ask the bus driver to let me know when we arrive at the stop I need?

Also, lets say I took the bus to Kiyomizudera, would I just take the same bus number back to Kyoto Station? Or should I take a different bus to the next destination?

I'd just like to make it simple, so I don't get lost!

Thanks again.
by Nathan rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/24 10:02
Well, when I was in Kyoto the last time, I also walked quiet a lot, but I had 8 days to spend there.
Since you only have two, you really should consider using the public transportation system, at least a couple of times. It's not that difficult, it's realtively cheap and you'll be able to see much more and enjoy your stay much more.
Of course, sometimes it can also be rewarding to walk a distance, since you may get some impressions that you don't have a chance to get while on bus.
by Haf rate this post as useful

getting around Kyoto 2007/12/24 16:50
re buses: go to the tourist office on the mezzanine, west of the main entrance,inside the JR Kyoto station. They will give you a map in English and tell you which buses to take to see various temples and places.You should also buy a daily bus pass as it is so much more practical than fiddling with change all the time! the bus stops at the start of many routes are right outside the JR Kyoto station.
Buses going to touristy places have computerized boards inside that gives the stops names in Japanese and English.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

How about bicycle 2007/12/24 18:52
Is it possible to travel around those destination riding bicycle in Kyoto?
by somchai rate this post as useful

biking in Kyoto 2007/12/24 22:51
Yes
Many Japanese, from the young to the very old, ride bikes, even in downtown Tokyo and also, of course in Kyoto.
enter your question in the small window above the list of all the questions to bring back an old post on that subject.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

I was just . . . 2007/12/26 11:31
. . . in Kyoto last month for Koyo. The problem with the buses (in late Nov. anyway) is there is a long line for the most popular ones. And if you are stuck in the back of the bus and have to get out, good luck. But Kyoto is too large to dispense without them.

Since my hotel was near Nijo Castle and somewhat centrally located, I used free bike rental from my hotel and could hit Ryoanji/Ninnaji/Kinkakuji northwest from my hotel and Ginkakuji/Eikan-do/Nanzenji at the southeast. It was still a fairly long bike ride but it was much preferable to riding the packed buses. Plus I could stop off in the Shijo area for dinner on the way back to my hotel.

There is bike rental near Kyoto Station but because the city blocks are long in Kyoto, it's quite a bike ride to many of the popular tourist spots from there.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/31 17:32
How long would a walk be from Sanjusangendo to Kiyomizudera?

... 2007/12/31 19:18
About 10 minutes to the start of the shops. 15-20 minutes to the entrance gate.

A few more questions. 2008/1/1 06:29
To get to Gion from Kyoto Station, is JR Nara Line to Tofukiji Station, and Keihan Railways to Shijo Station a good way to get there?

Also:

Karasuma Subway Line from Kyoto Station, to Karasuma Shijo Station. Walk through Nishiki Market, Pontocho, all the way to Shijo Station on the Keihan railways.

Take Keihan Railways to Sanjo Station. Walk to Heian Shrine, walk to Ginkakuji, walk to Demach-Yanagi Station. Take Keihan Railway to Tofukiji Station. JR Nara Line to Kyoto Station.

Would this be good for day two?

How long would the walk be from Karasuma Shijo Station, all the way to Pontocho and Shijo Station?

And how long would the walks be from Sanjo Station to Heian Shrine, Heian Shrine to Ginkakuji, and Ginkakuji to Demachi-Yanagi Station?

Thanks for all the help.

... 2008/1/1 09:16
To get to Gion from Kyoto Station, is JR Nara Line to Tofukiji Station, and Keihan Railways to Shijo Station a good way to get there?

Yes, it is one option, although, I would probably rather take the subway to Shijo Station and walk to Gion in about 10 minutes or take the direct bus or taxi.

Take Keihan Railways to Sanjo Station. Walk to Heian Shrine, walk to Ginkakuji, walk to Demach-Yanagi Station.

If you are walking a lot already, I suggest to also walk from Gion to Heian Shrine via Yakasa Shrine, Maruyama Park and Chionin.

How long would the walk be from Karasuma Shijo Station, all the way to Pontocho and Shijo Station?

About 10-15 minutes of pure walking.

Heian Shrine to Ginkakuji, and Ginkakuji

About 45 minutes.

Ginkakuji to Demachi-Yanagi Station?

About 45 minutes. I recommend to take a bus for this section.

And from Gion to Heian Shrine it would be about 30-40 minutes.

reply to this thread