Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to travel around Chubu? 2007/12/28 20:25
Hi,

I am planning a trip to the Chubu region.
I plan to stay at Nozawa onsen area for skiing for 3 days, then head out to Goshiki no yu near Yamada onsen for 1 day.

Next, i plan to head down to Takayama from Goshiki no yu. What is the best and fastest way to travel?

My travelling date is end January 2008.
Thanks for your help.
by Wan Ling  

... 2007/12/29 18:36
It is possible by public transportation, but especially access to Goshiki no yu is somewhat complicated and time consuming. A rental car would be more convenient, but driving on the left in a foreign country with the possibility of snow on the road is not everybody's thing.

For example, you could take trains from Nagoya to Matsumoto or Nagano, use a rental car for the hot springs in Nagano, before dropping off your car again in Matsumoto/Nagano and take the bus to Takayama and the train back to Nagoya. There also seems to be a direct bus from Nagoya's Chubu Airport to Matsumoto and Nagano.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Rental car 2007/12/30 00:02
Thanks Uji
We are starting out from Tokyo. Plan to rent a car for the whole trip, cos there are 4 of us, more economical. Left hand drive is fine for us, same as our home country.
Our itinerary at the moment,
Tokyo to Nozawa onsen - stay 3 nights and ski.
1 night in Goshiki no yu
1 night in Takayama
1 night in Okuhida hot springs
Then head back to Tokyo and drop off the car.
Question: How far is Goshiki no yu from Takayama and what is best way by car? Can't seem to find any road maps from the internet.
Question: Do we need snow chains if we are travelling end January. or is renting a 4WD good enough?
Many thanks again
by Wan Ling rate this post as useful

Nagano to Gifu 2007/12/30 03:51
-----Question: How far is Goshiki no yu from Takayama and what is best way by car? Can't seem to find any road maps from the internet.
Question: Do we need snow chains if we are travelling end January. or is renting a 4WD good enough?--------

Yamada is in Nagano prefecture and it looks like best way is to get to Matumoto and take route 158 going west (japan's national highway connects Matsumoto 1C to Takayama, Gifu prefecture and it takes you thru Hirayu area and Hirayu tunnel.) It states that it takes about 2 hrs and 20 minutes thru this highway 158 from Matsumoto to Takayama.
so maybe you can figure out from there. Website info's are not updated nor exits and not in detail.
According to and thru my past experience, 4 wheel is highly recommended for getting aroung snowy area such as at ski resorts etc, some of the ski resorts have tons of snow and on the road. The highway may be clear but never know when you get snowed while driving especially in late Jan.
I recomend Rurubu.com to get a book to obtain info (comes in magazine form).
I have Gifu one but don't have Nagano.
by cc rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/31 17:10
For some reason, I assumed you start and end your trip in Nagoya.

How far is Goshiki no yu from Takayama and what is best way by car?

I estimate it to take about 3-4 hours via Nagano, Matsumoto and Hirayu.

Do we need snow chains if we are travelling end January. or is renting a 4WD good enough?

Snow tires on a 2WD car would probably be sufficient. But make sure that it has snow tires.

Road tolls? 2007/12/31 18:04
Dear CC and Uji,

Many thanks for your prompt and kind responses.

Last 2 questions:
1) How can i find out roughly how much road toll i will incur, driving from tokyo to nagano, driving from nagano to takayama , and finally takayama back to tokyo?

2) What is the fastest way by car from nozawa onsen to yamada onsen? how many hours will it take?

... 2007/12/31 19:12
How can i find out roughly how much road toll i will incur, driving from tokyo to nagano, driving from nagano to takayama , and finally takayama back to tokyo?

Tokyo to Nagano: about 5000 yen
Nagano to Takayama can be done by toll free roads, except a tunnel along the way that costs 750 yen, I believe. And you could use expressways until Matsumoto for around 2000 yen. From Takayama to Tokyo, I recommend to go back to Matsumoto (750 yen tunnel) and then it is about 5000 yen back to Tokyo.

What is the fastest way by car from nozawa onsen to yamada onsen?

I estimate it to take about 90 minutes.

Thanks 2007/12/31 20:16
Thanks Uji,for your quick response.

Guess we may drive after all, JR trains will cost a lot and we have to lug the luggage around.

Happy New Year!

reply to this thread