Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Koi Gift 2007/12/29 02:40
I bought a koi gift in Nara and my Mom wants to know the meaning of the ball that's inside. Any help?
by Joe  

... 2007/12/29 17:06
Can you upload the picture?
by JLady rate this post as useful

Koi 2007/12/29 20:23
I don't have a picture, but it's a very small figure with a rope attached at the end. Inside there's a ball that rattles.
by Joe rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/29 20:48
Like this?
http://www.miyosida.com/dorei/animal/fish/fish2.html
Then I think what you've got is a cray bell. It was initially considered a musical instrument to invite gods and rattling sounds are also regarded to expel evil spirits.
by JLady rate this post as useful

- 2007/12/29 22:39
It looks like the blue one. Thanks for your help.
by Joe rate this post as useful

Where to see koi fish 2008/6/16 05:35
Where are the best places to watch koi in Japan? Are there koi museums, exebitions or gardens devoted to this beautiful fish?
by Paul rate this post as useful

Japanese Style Lamps 2008/6/16 05:36
Where in Tokyo is the best place to buy Japanese style lamps? Can I buy them anywear?
by Paul rate this post as useful

koi 2008/6/16 05:46
Paul

Well, if you are going to be in Tokyo, you can see Koi at the pond in the iris garden at Meiji Jingu (shrine)

Pretty much any garden that has a pond in Japan will have them. Also, Sankei-en in Yokohama (http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/attractions/facilities/gar...) is nice and has them. Kenroku-en in Kanazawa has many

But like I said, any large traditional Japanee garden will most likely have them

by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

Koi in Tokyo 2008/6/16 22:20
For seeing koi I like Inokashira Park (although there was a die-off last year so there are not nearly as many now), and the pond in the garden behind Yasukuni shrine- there is even a vending machine selling little boxes of carp food to feed them and on weekdays there is rarely anyone else there.
by SHU rate this post as useful

reply to this thread