Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Particles in complex sentences 2007/12/30 03:16
Hi, I have a question about particles that I hope someone can help me with. It concerns the use of wa and ga in more complex sentences. I know the basic differences between the two, the rules that you find in grammar books etc. But I never understand how to get those sentences right that seem to need more than one ga/wa.

For example if I wanted to say something like:

''If you had a friend that I don't like...''

how would I express that in Japanese?

I'd probably try with:

''anata ni wa watashi ga kirai na tomodachi ga itara...''

but doesn't that mean ''If you had a friend that doesn't like me...''?
If so, how do I put the sentence right? Is it even possible to say what I want in one sentence or would it be necessary to split it in two?
by kaya  

... 2007/12/30 13:21
Context of the real-life conversation would make it clear, but if you really wanted to make sure of the meaning, you can say (liteally, "if your friend was someone I hated"):

- Moshi anata no tomodachi ga watashi ga kiratte iru hito dattara...

By changing "...ga kirai na" to "...ga kiratte iru," this makes it clear that "watashi" is the one who dislikes, not the way around.

On the other hand, if you wanted to say ''If you had a friend that doesn't like me...," you could say:

- Moshi anata no tomodachi ga watashi no koto ga kirai dattara...

By using "...no koto ga (wo)," this shows clearly that "watashi" is the one who is disliked, not the other way around.
by AK rate this post as useful

simple way 2007/12/30 17:10
''If you had a friend that I don't like...
It can also be translated like this; watashi ga konomanai tomodachi ga anata ni itara...(the word 'moshi' can be abbreviated)
by mamiko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread