Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Before I travel 2008/1/5 12:36
I have a few things to organise:

1. Can anyone recommend a traditional place to stay in Kyoto. I'd like to an authentic Japanese styled place to stay. (not costing the sun and the moon)

2. Anyone know the cheapest place to get a JR pass (I live in Australia). How much is it with postage?

3. What is the best method for a traveller to bring money into Japan? Should I just convert Australian Dollars into Yen before I go? Should I mainly use VISA to avoid charges? Or is there a better way.

I'm heading out in less than 2 weeks. I appreciate your assistance.

Danny.
by Danny  

answers 2008/1/6 14:25
you should change your dollars in austalia before you go, at a bank or exchange centre. you will get a much better rate than at the aiport and in Japan. carrying cash is safe over there, i've done it that way every time i've been. check with your bank re your visa card coz some banks charge you fees for international transactions. JR pass can be purchased from JALPAK, jalpak.com.au or HIS, traveljapan.com.au. hope this helps.
by julie rate this post as useful

another answer 2008/1/9 10:30
By traditional and authentic do you mean a ryokan? I've stayed 3 times at this ryokan:
http://www.tctv.ne.jp/sawanoya/
but don't know if it would suit you. It's near Ueno station in a mostly residential area just a short walk from a subway station. I was delighted with the friendly staff and the very inexpensive breakfast. Lots of shops and restaurants around.
by Steve rate this post as useful

wrong answer 2008/1/9 10:31
sorry, I misread your post. Thought it was Tokyo.
by Steve rate this post as useful

reply to this thread