Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

yakusoku/yotei/yoyaku. 2008/1/6 23:06
病院に電話をかけて(  )を変更してもらわなければ。

1.)約束 2.)嵐 3.)蘭

Which is the suitable word, and also can any one tell me the differences in the usage of these words?.
by Rajeev  

... 2008/1/7 09:48
3)蘭 is the right one for this sentence.

1) "yakusoku" is a promise - something you make with your friend, your colleagues, buddies, etc.
2) "yotei" is a general schedule.
3) "yoyaku" is an appointment (you make with a doctor, hospital) or a booking (with a hotel, restaurant, etc.).
by AK rate this post as useful

Thank u. 2008/1/7 23:28
Thank you AK-san.
I have one more question.

ごめんね。日曜日行けなくて。急にトロントから友達が来ることになっちゃって。

I don't understand the なっちゃって. What does it mean and what type of form it is?
by Rajeev rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/7 23:45
来ることに なっちゃって is the colloquial version of 来ることに なってしまって, which is the "...te-form + shimau/shimaimasu,"expressing the sense of something happening unexpectedly, and the speaker is feeling "unfortunately..."

So the sentence is something like, "I'm sorry that I cannot come on Sunday. Unexpectedly, suddenly it turns out a friend of mine is going to come from Toronto."

...... 2008/1/8 01:47
Thanks a lot Ak-san i can able to understand clearly....

One doubt..... 2008/1/8 20:55
In the sentence it is 日曜日行けなくて。but in your translation you have said as "....cannot COME on sunday". Why the verb iku(to go) translated as COME.

Sorry 2008/1/8 22:19
日曜日行けなくて。

Sorry, I should have said "cannot go on Sunday."

In my mind I was imagining a situation that the person who said the sentence had maybe been invited to the other person's house or a party or something like that... in that case, in English, you would naturally say "cannot come (to you)." But because I don't know of the specific situation behind this sentence, it should be "I cannot GO on Sunday."

reply to this thread