Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Luggage and stairs in train stations 2008/1/9 11:48
My family and me will be travelling with quite a bit of luggage and I just wanna find out if there are lifts or escalators in major train stations in Tokyo. And is there any better way to move around in and out of train stations with luggage in case there aren't lifts (for the handicapped or persons with bulky items) or escalators.

We will be passing through Tokyo station and exiting at Ikebukuro station. Heard that there are no escalators or lifts in some stations and people have to drag luggage up or down the stairs.

Would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this.
by jemdude22  

... 2008/1/10 16:24
Major railway stations, especially JR, have escalator and elevator access to platforms. That includes Tokyo and Ikebukuro Stations.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/10 17:00
While many of the major stations do have elevators, I find often times they are backed up (considering the sheer number of people that pass through both Tokyo and Ikebukuro Station), so if you don't mind waiting sometimes, or going to one end of the platform (usually in the middle though) to find the elevator then you will be generally OK. Then there's the case of actually exiting the station, ikebukuro station is a mess, I go through there many times and it still makes my head spin.

by John rate this post as useful

other options 2008/1/10 20:11
Jemdude22, if you are using the Japan Rail Pass, using JR trains is your best option, but if you are not using the pass, you can also go, for example, directly from Narita Airport to Ikebukuro area by Limousine Bus which requires no stairs and very little walking at the airport.
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/timetable/txt_narita.html

Of course, you can also try to find ways to use other transportation so that there will be no transfer even if it takes more time/fee.
by Uco rate this post as useful

luggage 2008/1/11 07:29
Please don't take my reply the wrong way..I understand that some people have to take lots of luggage as they will stay at a relative or friend place and bring them clothes, gifts etc.
BUT if they are tourists only is is recommended to cut down as much as possible on the clothes and stuff. I used to take so many clothes that my bags were tagged by the airlines "caution extremely heavy" for the sake of the luggage handlers.. now I travel for 2 weeks and more with a 26" suitcases with strong wheels. my clothes includes a suit, several pairs of shoes and casual clothes in dark colours, save for a few bright T-shirts. one can pack a lot in a 26" case. you can wash underwear, shirts etc. in a hotel bathroom (most have a retractable clothesline above the tub). some hotels have washers/ dryers.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

doumo arigatou gozaimashita! 2008/1/11 12:00
Thank you guys for all your kind assistance and sharing.

We'll be holding JR passes and will be traveling to Kyoto from Narita Airport on the day of our arrival. I have planned to get to Tokyo Station by Narita Express and then transfer to a Shinkansen train bound for Kyoto. We will be returning to Tokyo 4 days later and staying at somewhere around Ikebukuro.

Forgive me but I need to pop another question. We all have heard how sardin-packed commuter trains during rush hours in Tokyo can be, take the well known Yamanote Line for example. As I'm returning to Tokyo from Kyoto, with presumably heavier luggage after some shopping in Osaka/Kyoto, I'll be trying to avoid commuting during the rush hours in Tokyo especially with family and luggage, may I know if trains on Yamanote line would still be packed after 9pm on any typical Saturday? Cause' I'm planning to take one of the Shinkansen trains that leaves Kyoto at dusk so as to avoid the evening commuting crowds knocking off from work in Tokyo, specifically on the Yamanote Line. In my home country Singapore,commuting frenzy on trains normally ends after 9-10pm and trains would be quite empty after that.

Arigato gozaimasu!
by jemdude22 rate this post as useful

trip 2008/1/11 17:24
at 9 pm the Yamanote should be Ok.
The day you are landing, ask the JR staff at Narita to check if there is a Shinkansen to Kyoto that leave from Shinagawa not long (10 minutes or so) after the train from Narita arrives at Shinagawa. Why? because it is easier to find th shinkansen tracks in Shinagawa than in Tokyo station. Same on the way back: better to stop at shinagawa and take the yamanote line there. less crowded than at Tokyo station.
You can also send your extra luggage to your Tokyo hotel from Kyoto the day before.Check on this site for info. it is called Takyubin I think.
If you know at what time you land you may be able to check the trains schedules from Narita to both Tokyo and Shinagawa and the shinkansen schedules from these stationsa www.hyperdia.com (it should take you 1hr 1/2 max between landing and the train departure from Narita)
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Takkyubin 2008/1/11 22:42
Takkyubin or more typically "takuhaibin" service is available at all airports and major hotels, most terminal train stations and convenience stores. You can ask for details at these places and request to send your luggage on the spot. So if you are staying for 2 nights or more at one place, this is a great and typical options that most locals use.
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/12 07:03
I agree at 9pm you should be fine, the peak hours are generally earlier then that.

I would second the recommendation of sending additional luggage by luggage delivery service, at least if you have very large luggage, and hand carry smaller luggage.
by John rate this post as useful

doumo arigatou gozaimashita! 2008/1/13 10:36
That's great! It seems very likely my reach-Tokyo-after-9pm plan will work then.

Will do then. Thank you guys for being helpful and offering all the advice! Yep, I may also consider transiting at Shinagawa instead of Tokyo Station.
by jemdude22 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread