Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Why do so many people like Kyoto? 2008/1/9 12:22
I visited Kyoto in December this year. The place looked similiar to Fukuoka. The lay out of the city to its train system. Why do people actually like it better than Fukuoka and other smaller cities.

David
by David  

you mean the modern city? 2008/1/10 12:48
It's not the modern city people go for, it's the temples and shrines and the fact that they aren't reproductions since unlike most of the rest of Japan's cities, (including Fukuoka) Kyoto wasn't bombed to the ground during WW2. If Fukuoka has anything to compare with Kyoto's historical buildings, I'm unaware of it.

As far as the modern city goes, Kyoto is nothing special, I'll agree with you there. I like Hiroshima better.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/1/10 12:59
Do you mind telling us where you went and what did you see while in Kyoto?
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

.... 2008/1/10 14:24
I like Kyoto in my initial visits years back. It has all the charm a lovely city that the visitors are looking for, culture, history, architectures and culinary delight. For many years, I hardly visited Kyoto again except the last winter. I had a solo walking tour within the city mainly along the back allies to look at how the ordinary people in Kyoto live their daily life. I avoid the temples and the parks. I believe the bus loads of visitors have somehow destroyed this beautiful city, just like the Niagara Falls.
by tju rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/10 14:42
...back alleys...

... 2008/1/10 15:06
Because it had been the nation's capital for a millenium and offers almost as many historic buildings and attractions as the rest of Japan combined. It also offers more traditional arts, crafts and foods than any other Japanese city.

Then again, if you are not interested in Japanese history and traditions, the city might not have that much to offer to you.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyoto's problem 2008/1/10 15:33
Hmm, I'm going to disagree that the busloads of visitors are the main problem in Kyoto. The people who did the urban planning have a lot more to answer for- particularly the ones who approved a monstrosity like Kyoto Tower.

I read somewhere that they did it because they were embarrassed that Kyoto was so "old fashioned"- they wanted to make the skyline more "modern".
by Sira rate this post as useful

.. 2008/1/10 15:42
Oh, yes, I did notice that towering monster, not a pretty sight though!

reply to this thread