Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14day JR pass advice? 2008/1/10 02:11
Hi
Would a 14 day JR pass (and pay for the little trips in osaka) be most suitable for this trip? Or should I use 7 day pass with a combination or regional passes.

day 1: arrive at 9pm use limo bus
day 2: osaka - aquarium/umeda
day 3: osaka - heaven gate/shopping
day 4: kyoto
day 5: nara
day 6: arashiyama
day 7: himiji+hiroshima+Miyajima
day 8: go to tokyo
day 9 - 15 tokyo + disneyland and maybe nikko

the order of places in osaka can be changed if needed for.

thanks
by loveorhatred  

14 day pass 2008/1/10 12:55

to start with one day in Kyoto isn't enough on a first visit to see some of the major sights; 2 days is a bare minimum.
Himeji: it takes 3 hrs to go from the station to the castle, visit the castle and its park and go back to the station.
Hiroshima: going to the peace park and doing some sightseeing downtown takes a good 4 hrs
Going from downtown Himeji to Miyajima takes 1 hr-1 1/2 each way. Visiting the shrine, the pagoda and walking around town takes at the very least 4 hrs, much more if one goes up the mountain by the cable car etc.
then of course there is the train trip Kyoto-Hiroshima, with a stop in Himeji, and the return trip. Best bet would be to stay one night in Hiroshima
you will have to drop something if you intend to use the 7 days pass.
The 14 days pass is only worth if you use it to do a few more trips like Arashiyama and Kobe while in Kyoto and Nikko, Kamakura and Yokohama while in Tokyo, and also travel around Tokyo using the JR Yamanote loop line most of the time.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/10 15:43
I recommend to go for the 14 day pass for the sake of convenience. If you do the calculation, the 7 day pass (covering the major trips: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Tokyo) in combination with regular tickets might come slightly cheaper, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

This took me a while to caculate haha.. 2008/1/10 16:36

Uhmm first few days home base will be osaka in nanba so will be going back there every night

A)
If I used a 7 day pass for the last 7 days just travelling to tokyo and back to osaka for airport and JR travel in tokyo
tat will be cost of 7 days pass ($300) And then the travel to and return from hiroshima which is like $100 each way and then also the travel in osaka to nara/kyoto/himiji which im assuming like $10-20 a day x 5ish days (or unless use some kansi pass?)
Which will make it like
300 + 100x2 + 10-20 x 5
= $550 to 600

b)If i get a 14 day pass then I just need the little travel costs around nanba.
$450 + ??

I think option b) ie, getting 14day pass will be cheaper?
by loveorhatred rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/10 19:52
Seems a fourteen-day day pass would be better in your case.

I would suggest you an itinerary below. Will show travel costs you would need to pay for if you use a seven-day pass.

day 1: KIX--Hotel by limo bus or Nankai ''Rapit''

day 2: Getting around Osaka; Osaka Subway one day ticket 850yen / You need to buy this even if you have a fourteen-day pass because Central Osaka is mainly covered by subway.

day 3: Getting around Osaka; Subway one day ticket 850yen (even with the fourteen-day pass)

day 4: Kyoto; Three-day Kansai Thru Pass 5,000yen, valid until day 6 / Kyoto one day bus ticket is necessary even if you have a fourteen-day JR pass.

day 5: Kyoto; Kyoto one day bus ticket is necessary even if you have a fourteen-day JR pass.

day 6: Nara

day 7: Arashiyama; Namba to Arashiyama via Osaka subway and Hankyu for 1,240yen (return)

day 8: Osaka--Himeji--Hiroshima (overnight); Start to use a seven-day pass.

day 9: Hiroshima until the evening; Hiroshima 18:09--Hikari--19:44 Shin-Osaka 20:23--Hikari--23:19 Tokyo (overnight)

day 10: Tokyo

day 11: Nikko, via Tohoku Shinkansen from Tokyo to Utsunomiya, then change to JR Nikko Line.

day 12: Disneyland

day 13: Tokyo

day 14: Tokyo; The seven-day pass expires on this day.

day 15: Tokyo-Osaka; You might fly from Tokyo Haneda to Osaka Kansai for from 11,000yen as your seven-day pass has expired. Transport from Shinjuku to Haneda Airport costs 590yen via JR Yamanote Line and Keihin-kyuko Line./ Shinkansen to Shin-Osaka, then change to ''Haruka'' to Kansai Airport on a 14 day pass.

It's up to you when to start to to use a fourteen-day JR pass, as for first 3 days the pass doesn't seem to be necessary.

Romoved one day from Tokyo and added it to Kyoto.

Happy travels.

by optimistk rate this post as useful

One thing to add... 2008/1/10 21:21
The total cost of 14 day pass + a few subway charges in Tokyo and Osaka, and that of 7 day pass + many individual tickets are nearly equal. But the 14 day pass enables you to be liberated from buying a lot of confusing individual tickets.

For your onfo.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

Thankyou all 2008/1/10 23:37
Thankyou for your detailed explanations & analysis. Your help is really appreciated!

by loveorhatred rate this post as useful

reply to this thread