Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train Timetable 2004/3/31 11:12
Can someone please explain how this works:

I have found the website but am a bit confused as to how it all runs.. I want to get from Tokyo - Kyoto -Osaka - Tokyo.
http://www.world.eki-net.com/e_Trainsearch/e_timetable/e_tokaido_sanyo_d/1.html
Thanks
by Jammer  

timetable 2004/3/31 11:29
I want to get from Tokyo - Kyoto -Osaka - Tokyo.

Tokyo-Kyoto takes about 3 hours.
Kyoto-Osaka takes about 30 minutes
Osaka-Tokyo takes about 3 hours.

If there are more questions, please be more specific.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks 2004/4/2 13:50
Thank you. I need to know which of all these trains I need to catch if I have the JR rail pass, or are they all open to me?

Nozomi
501 Kodama
633 Hikari
345 Kodama
491 Nozomi
39 Kodama
635 Hikari
347 Hikari
by Jammer rate this post as useful

Not the Nozomi 2004/4/2 15:29
With the JR pass you cannot use the Nozomi, you have to use the Hikari's or Kokama's instead. But when you make a reservation, which I'd recommend you do, this is autmatically been taken care of.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

So 2004/4/4 10:44
geting the JR pass will allow me to travel back and forth from kyoto and toyko?
by James rate this post as useful

yes 2004/4/4 11:12
Yes, but only within the period of validity of the pass, of course.

The pass is available for 1, 2 and 3 weeks.

Thanks Uji 2004/4/4 17:43
But i would be taking a slower train correct? And wont get there in the 3 hours of the bullet train?
by James rate this post as useful

small difference 2004/4/4 18:11
The Nozomi takes about 2 h 20 minutes to Kyoto and 2h 35 minutes to Shin-Osaka.

The Hikari takes about 2 h 45 minutes to Kyoto and 3 h to Shin-Osaka.

The difference between the Nozomi which cannot be used with the Japan Rail Pass, and the Hikari, which can be used with the Japan is quite small.

Which train to take when going.... 2008/1/31 03:24
Hi
Which train should I take when going to Hiroshima from Kyoto,
I'm going to visit Miyajima island, and then continue to Beppu. but I cant seem to work out a way to get there, I'm looking for time tabels over.

rail pass valid train from:
Kyoto - Hiroshima
Hiroshima - Beppu station

I was thinking of leaving my hotel in Kyoto around 9pm or 10pm.

Can someone please help me out?
by Winnie rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/31 04:55
9 pm - 10 pm?

If using the current timetable (which apparently is going to be revised, but if its like any revision in the past, there shouldn't be anything super dramatic to totally change your plans).

You can take a Hikari from 9:21 PM (21:21) to Okayama Station, at Okayama Station changed to a Hikari Railstar at 22:51 (5 minute transfer) and that train goes all the way to Hiroshima arriving at 23:38 (11:38pm).

by John rate this post as useful

Hyperdia 2008/1/31 05:06
has always been great for me planning journeys. Often quite long and/or convaluted ones.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/31 05:08
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

I just typed in Kyoto to Beppu, with Hiroshima as a "passed point", and it comes up straight away with lots of journey options, train numbers, fares, etc...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Trains 2008/1/31 05:18
I am a bit puzzled why so many people are confused by the JR pass!? please check:
www.japanrailpass.net/
click on English or .. you will get many pages (click next after reading each one) with photos and very detailed information about the pass.
i like Hyperdia for schedules but Jorudan is also very good.
www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/e-norikeyin.html
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/31 05:26
Please note that the confusion with the JR pass dates back to 2004. Someone up and decided to bump an old thread again, I hate when that happens.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/31 06:02
If you really want to leave Kyoto that late at night and you're traveling after 15th March, a model connection would be as follows;

Kyoto 21:16--Hikari425--21:30 Shin-Osaka 21:59--Hikari489--23:39 Hiroshima

If that's simply a typo and if you want to leave Kyoto in the morning,

Kyoto 9:16--Hikari401--9:30 Shin-Osaka 9:59--Hikari455--11:28 Hiroshima

More info is necessary on what time you are leaving Hiroshima for Beppu, though I don't have the new timetable in hand for between Kokura and Beppu...but try to search if asked.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

tank you 2008/2/1 09:03
Thank you so much, just the net adress hyperdia helped me alot, and sorry, I got the time wrong, I'm a dork when it comet to numbers so my friend told me the time in am/pm and i obviousley trusted her! my bad. jorudan is for me very confusing and it always picks the nozumi train wich the rail pass isn't valid on. and sorry for posting in an old thread. I'll just start a new one next time. again thank you very much for helping me out everyone.
by Winnie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread