Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rosetta Stone 2008/1/10 08:50
First, I'd like to apologize if this question has been asked before. With that out of the way, has anyone tried the "rosetta stone" language software (the Japanese version, of course)? I've been learning Japanese for a short time and I really need something that would give that extra push needed to tackle the language. Does anyone if it's worth it? Thanks in advance for your responses.
by JohnWayne360  

I have done some of it 2008/1/10 12:39
I have Rosetta Stone, but I've only done the first set of lessons for Unit I. Basically they show Japanese words, then phrases, then sentences, associated with pictures. This is a good way to process and retain information.

The teacher in my Japanese class uses the same style, and I've learned a lot more useful stuff from the class vs Rosetta Stone.

My problem is that no one talks to me, so it's hard to retain any of the language.

It's my understanding that you can download a free trial for Rosetta Stone though, so maybe you will find that you like it.
by Bob rate this post as useful

meh 2008/1/10 16:52
I tried it, and can't really say its all that worth it - its not that its bad, but for how much they're charging its definately not enough material to study - I mean you end up learning only a couple dozen different words after the whole thing :/
by InkMaster rate this post as useful

To stone or not... 2008/1/11 06:11
JohnWayne360,

I have it, tried it and then realized that I needed a hands on method. I am not knocking it. It may work well for some people. I know someone who has learned somewhat using the program, but he spends a lot of time on it.

If you really want to learn, I suggest that you take a class. In the US the Japan Society runs classes in various cities.

Find a Japanese teacher. There are Japanese who teach as a way to make an income. Some of them are really good and the benefit is that it is more personal. In addition you may also be introduced to some of their friends and more opportunities to speak.

You can also locate places where you can go and hangout with Japanese people. Make it a point to speak because practice is the only true way to make the language part of you.

Tenshi
by tenshi rate this post as useful

Extra resource. 2008/1/11 07:00
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm actually going to start taking Japanese classes in college this semester, so I was wondering whether or not it would be good as a alternate resource.
by JohnWayne360 rate this post as useful

Pimsleur 2008/1/12 03:48
I never tried Rosetta Stone, but I've got the first 96 Pimsleur lessons on my iPod. I find that it's a great supplemental resource to my classroom work. Everything makes far more sense having gotten a formal classroom training for the first year.
by aurora rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/12 07:18
If you are learning Japanese in a class setting as you will be, then I think Rosetta Stone is a good supplement to what you are learning. It shows pictures and has speakers and words so you associate with images.

by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread